What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquarium/terrarium problem!

C

Cryix

I just purchased a 10 gallon tank from my local pet store. I am new to growing these plants. When I got the aquarium home, I looked at the hood and saw that the Max Voltage is 25w. Do I need to but another hood that will stand higher voltage bulbs? Or will 25w do fine? If I need to buy another hood,where do I buy it? The hood that I have right now only holds screw in lights normally found on house lamps. Please Help
sad.gif
!!!

I'm not sure, but I don't think you're suppose to use a hood.
confused.gif

-warped
alien.gif

I don't think those kind of light bulbs would put out enough light to keep your plants really happy. So, if it was me, I would not use the hood.

I use 48 inch shoplight fixtures that sit over the terrarium, or mount on a bookshelf. They are on around 17 hours a day. I know they make shorter fluorescent fixtures that fit 24" inch bulbs, that would look better over your tank - however they are much more expensive than the longer 48" ones (you can get for around 8 bucks). Maybe you can have 2 ten gallon terrariums with cps next to each other under the longer lights!!

You can have a piece of thick glass cut to fit over the top of the tank and slide it to adjust the opening and the humidity.

I hope this helps.

WildBill

I use Bill's method as well and my plants are doing great.

Do not use the hood. The light is not adequate and it does not hold the humidity.

Back