What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquarium carnivorous plants?

I recently aquired a 46g aquarium, which unfortunately is draining my cp funds, which temporarely puts my cp hoarding abilities to a halt. No worries, I'm back as soon as I get the cash
smile.gif

Now I know that some species of utrics such as U. gibba can survive and an aquarium, but what about other utric species? Will the higher nutrient content have any detrimental affects on the plants. Will they still produce traps?

What about Aldrovanda? I know these guys are hard requireing Co2 and all that, but I am thinking of useing my aquarium to house it since there is a Co2 generator in there. Also, I've never seen an aldrovanda in real life, so how big are the traps? Are they able to capture my tetras?

Genlisea? Thats probably a long shot with all the minerals and nutrients in an aquarium. And its terrestrial, but that can be solved with simple mounting on a suction cup.

Any ideas? Zongyi

Elgecko has had Aldrovanda in his fish tank. He would be a good source for info.

Thanks for the tip. I will enquire when I get an aldrovanda, which may take a while, lol. Zongyi

Scott is correct that I do have Aldrovanda in my tank.
The traps are small, I still have my 18 Neon Tetras in the tank with it.
I originally had a tiny Aldrovanda in a tank that had DIY CO2 and 2 watts per gallon of light for a short time. It was starting to grow. I then took that tank down to get some lizards again.
I have since moved the Aldrovanda to a 1.38 watts per gallon tank with no CO2. Since the plant was so small I lost it in the tank. (It got caught in some leaves of another plant at the bottom of the tank) I have since got it back to the surface and it is starting to grow again. While it is growing I do not consider it a success yet. Maybe in another 6 months or so I'll know.

Back