What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids?

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
I think these pictures spell Aphids. Am I correct? I found the white specks, molted skin is my guess, on 2 D.spatulata. Both are under water already, but after taking pictures I believe I can see them (circled).

aphid2.PNG

...and a close up :censor:

aphids3+-+Copy.PNG

How long should they remain submerged? I've read from 3 days all the way to 7 days...

Yes, those are aphids. I agree with the advice to keep the plant submerged underwater for 3 - 7 days. I add a few drops of cooking oil on the surface of the water in case any of them float to the surface for air.

Looks like aphids. Three days should be plenty.

Since the plants were in a terrarium with live sphagnum, does the sphagnum need to be submerged also? Should I flood the entire terrarium?

I would just submerge the plant for now and see how it goes. If you see aphids on the sphagnum, then you have a reason for more flooding.

Well, now I'm really thinking that if aphids will eat sphagnum, I need to flood the terrarium. I found a 3rd Drosera, my Cape is infected. I think I would need to remove my P. luscitanica and P. primuliflora as well as my D. binata and D. filiformus and flood all the rest.
I have added about a 1/4 cap full of vegetable oil to the dunking pond as you suggested, Dave.
Aphids4.JPG

Small, isolated cases are easily taken care through submersion. When it gets out of hand or is impractcal, then it's time for insecticides, like the Bayer product that is used for roses.

Well, tonight I found aphids on another plant, a Ping on the other side of the terrarium. So now, the whole terrarium is an inch under water. I do have a couple flower stalks still above the surface, but I'll be checking them for any survivers before I syphon out the water next week. The flowers are on plants that don't appear to be infected.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Back