What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone want pawpaw seeds?

I saved some pawpaw seeds this year so, if anyone wants some, let me know. For those who don't know what pawpaws are, they're the largest fruit native to the US. The fruit has a very strong tropical fruit aroma and kind of a banana-pineapple flavor, with some unidentifiable other flavors in there too. I love the fruit but, for purposes of full disclosure, my wife thinks they're disgusting. The fruit is very soft - think pudding with seeds - and I guess they're a love them or hate them kind of thing.

Pawpaws are native to much of the eastern half of the US, ranging from the deep south up to southern Michigan and west to the eastern edge of KS, NE, OK & TX. They actually aren't native this far to the northeast, but grow like weeds here. Even if they didn't get fruit, they might be worth growing as an ornamental because they get huge, tropical-looking leaves that turn bright yellow in the fall. They're also the host plant for Zebra Swallowtail butterflies:

9992_swallowtail_zebra_ws_std.jpg

Here's a website that probably says more than anyone needs to know about them - http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/fruit/438-105/438-105.html. There is no need to spray them or fertilize them or do anything else, although they get more fruit if you help with the pollination. I don't have a lot of seeds this year, because one of the dogs has decided he likes to eat pawpaws too, but there are enough for a few people.

I'll take a few. PM me with terms of a trade.

im interested Bruce but you realize they cant dry out right? if they dry out they arent viable.....

Im interested as well, Id love to have some if any are available :)

The pic of the tree after the leaves have turned is very pretty!! Such a golden yellow :)

I'll have to cut it off here because I only have 15 seeds and at least five requests. I don't want to send anyone less than three seeds. I went out to see if the dogs had missed any fallen fruit but, if they did, the new layer of pine needles has hidden them awfully well. The seeds are in the fridge, wrapped in moist paper towel inside a plastic bag and anyone I can send seeds to should do the same.

Back