What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone use this play sand before?

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
I was wondering if Sakrete natural playsand was used by anybody herE? if so, what was the results for sarrs, vfts, and sundews? i currently have two bags waiting for my bog, and was seeing if it is safe. i can always return it, as i had not opened it.

Just googling the stuff it appears to be "washed natural river sand". While it contains silica (someone called the company and asked), it doesn't mean it is pure silica sand. It also seems that much of the "river sand" comes from China and Cambodia. I don't know the geology of the regions where the sand is coming from but if it is primarily from sedimentary rock like limestone your plants are going to be very unhappy.

You can try testing it with vinegar to see if it reacts but your best bet is soak some in water for a couple days and test the water with a pH meter or paper.

I was thinking of just getting some different sand...
Any suggestions of any play sand?
We have some natural sand in buckets (been using it for years) but we're running low, so...
I may also go to a nursery soon to see if they have any suitable sand. If worse comes to worse, it would have to be
1:4 sand to 3:4 Peat.

Go to a Pool supply store. The sand they use in the filters is pure silica sand. This is what I use for my CP's.

what brand of sand, if any eglecko?

It would be a good idea to rinse your sand, no matter where it originates.

yeah, plus, i may get it from a pool supply store. i will have to get more peat tonight, and i would also get some perlite. i may not have sand in this section, except for the small bit already in, but i may get some tonight.

I also go to a pool supply store and get there filter sand. It's white silica sand.

Thats what ill get then

Back