What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone and everyone with dormancy questions

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I am starting to see the dormancy questions pop up and so I guess it is time to post this.

For anyone and everyone with dormancy questions, rather than litter up the forums with 8 billon posts asking the same thing over and over please read this thread in the articles section It should answer all your questions. If your question is not answered there then feel free to post a new thread.

Methinks the outdoor dormancy section is overly pessimistic for people growing Sarrs in the north.  I don't mean north like Yellowknife, NWT but north like here in CT.  If I read that before I got Sarrs I wouldn't have Sarrs.

I'm Vertigo, and I approve herenorthere's post.

Well, I agree at least. I think it's up to the grower to judge their own habitat and go from there. No one but the people in your house know how cold it'll get over the winter. Screw the weather guy, he guesses as much as a doctor. It should, like everything else here be taken as a suggestion, less of a guideline, but a theory to follow and make decisions from. It's just an idea of what some do in some areas.

I know here on LI it can get pretty chilly, and a good chunk of Sarracenia wouldn't make it through the winter without a bit of mulching or protection. Surprisingly one year the one's i thought wouldn't make it did, and some of the cold hardier ones didn't.

It is a good starting point though.

If I can ever re-locate Wildbill's post of how to do dormancy outside in Connecticut....

Anybody know where it is?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks! That should really be pinned, along with the other one. Just added it to favorites.
smile.gif

I don't think that much effort is necessary but, as Vertigo says, everyone needs to look at their own situation.  Maybe I'm not ambitious enough (my mother would agree) but if I were thinking about getting a Sarr or two and thought I had to do that much to keep them alive, maybe I'd plant tulips instead.  I certainly agree with that level of effort for a collection like Wild Bill's, but a kid wanting to try a couple Sarrs in CT can overwinter them with much less effort.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Sep. 07 2005,3:09)]Methinks the outdoor dormancy section is overly pessimistic for people growing Sarrs in the north.  I don't mean north like Yellowknife, NWT but north like here in CT.  If I read that before I got Sarrs I wouldn't have Sarrs.
You will note that at the beginning of the article I specifically noted that it was not all inclusive and that it was not the end all be all. Most of the contributors to that article are Southerner type folk so we only put out what we knew from our experience. I always encourage others to share their experience and I thank you and Vertigo and Jim for speaking out.

Bump

Back