What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody know how to grow n.sibuyaensis?

I bought the plant named in the topic form Wistuba at spring. It was labeled "lowland" there. The plant is not feeling very well. Anybody has cultivating tips?
confused.gif

read all the post on this thread: here!
well sibu is intermedite but not a true lowlander. more of a highlander to me

Howdy Jebiz,

Huh lowland? From everything I have seen it is usually considered a highland although not a very demanding one at that.

Have not heard anyone growing it as a lowland before. If you are then perhaps treating it more like an intermediate/highland will improve it greatly.

What have your day and night temperatures been and how long have you had it?

Tony

Yeah........ The temperature is about 25 C at and maybe 19 at night.  Please post hints for intermediates/highlands here cause the only intermediate/highland I ever have grown was an N.alata.  
smile_o_32.gif

( I am quite the beginner and I at least now grow CPs low-budget. I have not yet bought any cooler or heater to my terrarium.)

the lil sib i grew for awhile was quite undemanding. night time lows of 12-18C were normal, lil higher wasnt uncommon. day time highs of 29Ci-sh were typical. good humidity, 75%ish and it did fine. i had been told they sit and pout abit after you first get them but mine never did. it grew like a champ while i had it.

traded it. it was doing fie when i shipped it off, i have limited room for neps and its not a species i wanted to devote space to at this point in time. if i ever get a larger growing area in the future ill get the species again

And it's still doing fine now that I have it.  Like the rest of my Neps and the orchids too, it's been loving the cooler, wetter weather of early Fall.  Some tendrils have buried themselves in the sphagnum and I'm waiting to see if pitchers come back out.  Either that or it's actually a peanut plant.

I don't actually have a thermometer in my tank but I'd estimate mine is growing at about 70-80° F. High humidity is a must for these things to pitcher, that is why they often bury their tendrils.

I noticed before that Andreas was calling them lowlands. THEY ARE NOT!

Apart from that, I just keep mine off to the side of my tank in such a way that it is not actually directly under the fluorescent fixture but still getting light. I have read that they enjoy slightly shadier conditions.

My sib loves these conditions (although I really need to repot it) and makes pitchers on every leaf. Try this and you should get good results.

BTW- I do not using heating or cooling implements either. Just a 20 gal. tank w/ 2 4ft. bulbs.

-D. Lybrand

N. sibuyanensis only does well for me in the winter, it really likes something which I am suspecting is cooler temperatures and somewhat lower light levels. And it need a new shoe size ;) hehe

A neighbor's cat knocked down my N. sibuyanensis today, spilling it from the pot.  My N. rafflesiana was also down, along with a few assorted orchids including, most disastrously, my pot of Cyp. acaules.  A testing lab is too good for that d*mn cat.  Ooops, I mean c*t.  The filter might allow the word, but it's the worst obscenity I know.

Geeze, people with extremely "adventurous/curious" animals (ie., cats) should try and control them more! Esp. when someone else's property is at stake. How badly are ur plants damaged?

-D. Lybrand

we have a name for critters like that around here.....target practice
smile_n_32.gif

Back