What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any tips on growing adelae and filformis trayci?

i just got them today and the adelae is in crap condition and the trayci is in dormancy, which i didnt know until i got it.
can anybody tell whats to expect when growing these?
should i repot them?

you've gotten some pretty forgiving plants provided that you respect their requirements. the only thing is, you probably won't see any results with the trayci until spring rolls in but dont be discouraged. Keeping the trayci pot outdoors will probably suffice (especially with the cold temps CA has been getting), make sure the soil is damp but not waterlogged for long periods to prevent root rot.

As for the adelae, it's best to keep this one indoors. High humidity, and bright lighting although you might want to supply a humidity dome and some sort of shade cloth in the beginning of the situating process since adelaes are naturally found in shady areas than full sun, but are capable of adapting to bright light conditions. Once they're comfortable, you can remove these. I used the tray method with mine, allowing the water to evaporate from the tray before refilling it. Adelaes are usually fussy in the beginning but when they do settle in, they're practically a weed, possibly even more so than capensis--but at last they stay in their own pots.

*edit*
unless the adelae is overcrowded in the pot, there is no need to repot them. and even if the top of the plant dies, D. adelae will/can come back from the roots.
there's no need to repot the trayci. if you must though, do it sometime early/mid January when the growing begins.

thank you very much
unfortunately i have to keep the plants outside cuz of my mom

If your place gets cold, keeping the adelae outside will not make it very happy. It is a tropical plant and needs temperatures above freezing.

geffcardo - I agree with amphirion on the tracyi. I only live about 45 minutes east of you and I keep all of my tracyi outside all winter. With the cold temps we had last week (low of 29F), they were all frozen for half the day each day but are doing just fine.

Fred

well my area doesnt get as low as 29 degrees but im gonna ride this one out and see what happens

---------- Post added 12-13-2009 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-12-2009 at 10:38 PM ----------

oh my god it is pouring rain outside and its 55 degrees

Back