What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any tips on algae blooms and apprarent...

Hey guys,

I've had this tank setup for months now and no matter what I do it's either all green water (algae bloom), or if I get that cleared up (I used erythromyicen (sp?) or constant water changes), the waters still really cloudy (bacterial bloom?).  No matter what I do whether I leave it alone or do constant water changes it's either one or the other...along with either red or green algae intermittently on the walls.

Any ideas?  Bad gravel?  
tounge.gif

There are algicide products on the market - if you don't mind throwing in chemicals. There are algae eating fish - so-called Algae Eaters,
Otocynclus Cats, Plecostomus, and Mollies. I have heard, though haven't tried, of putting copper pennies in the tank. Not sure if that is a good idea, though. Washing gravel. plants (artificial or live), slate, etc.. is difficult. Limiting light is an approach. Having floating plants that scarf up most of light helps. Doing all of these, minus the chemicals and pennies is probably the best approach.

Yeah, I have or tried most of that so far. Right now i'm trying just keeping the light off for three days and very limited food. I try to stay clear of the algicides since they usually do more harm then good. Besides, with live plants and babies in the tank i'm really staying away from chemicals.

If this doesn't work i'm going to try wrapping the tank in a dark cloth for three days and kill all light entering the tank and see if that helps. Still have to try to clear up the bacterial bloom though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vertigo @ May 12 2004,10:12)]Yeah, I have or tried most of that so far.  Right now i'm trying just keeping the light off for three days and very limited food.  I try to stay clear of the algicides since they usually do more harm then good.  Besides, with live plants and babies in the tank i'm really staying away from chemicals.

If this doesn't work i'm going to try wrapping the tank in a dark cloth for three days and kill all light entering the tank and see if that helps.  Still have to try to clear up the bacterial bloom though.
When my tanks cloud up real bad like that, all I do is leave the lights off and cover it with a towel like you mentioned, and don't feed for 3-4 days. That clears things up
smile.gif
But with fry, That wouldn't be a good idea... The other fish would just eat the fry!
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ May 12 2004,7:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vertigo @ May 12 2004,10:12)]Yeah, I have or tried most of that so far.  Right now i'm trying just keeping the light off for three days and very limited food.  I try to stay clear of the algicides since they usually do more harm then good.  Besides, with live plants and babies in the tank i'm really staying away from chemicals.

If this doesn't work i'm going to try wrapping the tank in a dark cloth for three days and kill all light entering the tank and see if that helps.  Still have to try to clear up the bacterial bloom though.
When my tanks cloud up real bad like that, all I do is leave the lights off and cover it with a towel like you mentioned, and don't feed for 3-4 days. That clears things up
smile.gif
But with fry, That wouldn't be a good idea... The other fish would just eat the fry!
wow.gif
Spec,

The fry are actually in a net breeder in the tank, so that really can't happen, if I really need to I could feed the fry, but I doubt that with all the algae in the tank as well as a few floating plants in the net breeder.

Think that would clear up the bacterial bloom as well though? Should keep down the nutrients. Btw, I increased the airation and circulation before doing such with the light cycle, of course.
tounge.gif

Yes, it would.
biggrin.gif
You also might want to consider a more powerful filter. Right now I am filtering about 500 gallons an hour in a 30 gallon tank, and its crystal clear. I have dozens of large convict cichlids in there (Before anyone starts ranting and raving that I keep them crammed, let me say that when someone walks by, they can all dissapear within 5 seconds, they each have their own hidie-hole, and they don't fight over territory, either)

I was thinking about a more powerful filter, but honestly I have a similar tank setup next to it with all the same equiptment and it's clear as glass. The only difference is one has larger natural gravel, and the cloudy one has smaller painted gravel.

Hehe, i'm not one to say anything about over crowding. I had over 100 guppy in a 5 gallon tank. As long as the airation, filtration, and live plants are doing well enough should be fine.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vertigo @ May 12 2004,4:16)]I was thinking about a more powerful filter, but honestly I have a similar tank setup next to it with all the same equiptment and it's clear as glass.  The only difference is one has larger natural gravel, and the cloudy one has smaller painted gravel.

Hehe, i'm not one to say anything about over crowding.  I had over 100 guppy in a 5 gallon tank.  As long as the airation, filtration, and live plants are doing well enough should be fine.  
tounge.gif
Sounds like my livebearer tank when I was spec's age - a ten gallon with guppies, mollies, platys, and swords - having at it.

Back