What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any soil mix suggestion for Huernia zebrina

hi all,

surfed the web, but not finding anything definitive. all suggest some sort of standard potting mix and perlite/sand. the mix should be somwhere in 30% potting mix, and 70% perlite/sand. the thing is that potting mix should have very little peat moss as possible.

can someone suggest some potting mix that will work well?

I haven't found zebrina to be all that picky. Mine has been growing happily for several years now in a 50/50 mix of peat & large grade perlite.

i've had mine for probably 6 years in miracle gro with extra perlite

so miracle gro seedling soil and lot of MG perlite should be fine? those i have a lot of.

yup, just keep an eye on it and let it dry out really well between waterings

Mine is in a pot with a cache underneath it. The pot sits with about 1cm of clearance above the floor of the cache so that when I water, the excess can drain right through. Amusingly enough, the huernias have sent roots down into this runoff area.n :D

this just came in.

IMG_0564-001.JPG

Wow very nice! I love the color

thanks.. i had hard time tracking this one down. i hope i don't kill it. i'm looking for H. oculata and H. quinta var. quinta with snow white flower and some spots near the center.. i think i found H. quinta.

edit: Huernia zebrina does sort of remind me of tiger stripe x)

lucky you i have been trying to get my hands on one in the uk:-(

i think they started soaking up some water. they are now little fatter. also, the soil is dry already. i watered it last night to make sure the soil is settled around the root. i used 2:3:3 peat moss, perlite and sand. can't wait till the H. quinta to get here :)

Back