What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Rhyme Or Reason Why These Are

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
The following are attempting to flower: D. montana-tomentosa, D. spatulata x capensis, a mystery sundew that looks like a cross between a spatulata and a capensis, and D. anglica. Why now? And no, they are not about to croak!

most of my drosera also did the same thing, I think that they are trying to use up some of the excess nutrients that they have because they can.

Who knows? maybe plants like to mate?
smile_n_32.gif

my capensis has a tiny stalk coming up on it now. this is its 3rd one since june and the second one im going to let flower.
Alex

Oh yeah... my capensis, spatulata, and rotundifolia are as well.... but I have seen those do that before in the fall.

I don't see why there's anything wrong with that, they just flower when they feel they've stored up enough energy to do so, or if they like their conditions. I say just let 'em flower.
smile.gif

-Ben

Seems like the change of seasons brings on the flowers. I always got a lot of flower activity in both spring and fall. The cooler nights will definitely perk up the Brazilian species. Odd that D. rotundifilia should be currently active since this species should be well on the way to forming the winter hibernacula, all my plants are now fully dormant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Oct. 28 2006,6:03)]Odd that D. rotundifilia should be currently active since this species should be well on the way to forming the winter hibernacula, all my plants are now fully dormant.
I could understand it if I just received some TC plant that doesn't know what time of year it is or one that has been grown under artificial lighting at a very contrary photoperiod.... but this plant was put through a proper dormancy last winter and put outside in the spring. I just moved it and its minibog inhabitants to the attic today. In other words, it has been in synch with natural photoperiod for more than a full year. It may be that the stlk itself has stopped developing and the plant is now dormant.

Back