What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any places of cp interest to visit in hawaii?

• Thread starter LauraZ5
  • Start date
Actually, I'd be interested in any places of interest to visit on the big island as well as Maui, Lanai, and Molokai.

Does anyone here at Terra live on any of these islands?

Thanks Bob!

Few quick questions. I must be going brain dead as I thought D. anglica was a temperate species indigenous to Alaska yet those photos clearly show it growing on Kauai.  

There was a reference made to Rico's map. Does anyone happen to have a link to this map as I presume it denotes native ranges of species.

Yes I hear the angelica bogs are quite amazing.

Thanks again Bob! The D. anglica is in HI and AK. Who would have thunk!

You can PM our token Hawaiin - Divaskid.

I live in Honolulu on Oahu.  In my opinion Hawaii isn’t such a great place for CPs, although there are two locations where native Drosera anglica grow.  One is the Kanaele Bog (see link on BobZ’s message), which is in an isolated location on the island of Kauai.  The other is the Alakai (a’ lah kah’ ee) Swamp (more accurately, a series of bogs), which is in Kokee (koe keh’ ay) State Park, also on the island of Kauai.

The Alakai Swamp is accessible by a hiking trail that is 3.5 miles one way.  The Alakai Swamp trail would be quite remarkable, even if it didn’t have D. anglica.  The trail starts out in a normal rain forest.  But when it gets to the bogs, the trees become miniaturized.  It’s at an elevation of a couple of thousand feet, and when I was there, the clouds swept down to ground level, giving it an other-worldly effect.  I would have easily gotten lost if it wasn’t for the boardwalk, which also keeps hikers from sinking into the bog.  I have to admit that when I hiked Alakai I wasn’t interested in CPs, so I didn’t look for D. anglica plants.  But I know they are there.  A friend of a friend just went, and he saw some, although they weren’t as prolific as when he went in the summer.

Kokee is on Mt. Waialeale (wye ah’ lay ah’ lay), which is known as the “wettest spot on the earth,” so it rains a lot, although there are some dry days.  Also, the Alakai trail has a lot of steps.  If you’re not used to going up and down steps, be prepared for sore legs the next day or two.  Otherwise, if you visit Kauai, I would highly recommend the Alakai trail.  Here’s a site with some information about Kokee State Park:  http://www.aloha.net/~inazoo/kokee.htm.

Bummer, we're not going to Kauai or to Oahu.  Pity we won't be anywhere near CPs but I've never been to Hawaii before so it will be fun even if I don't get to see any.

Next year or the year after we're thinking of going to South America or on an Alaskan cruise. One or the other.  My vote would be for Alaska but we'll see if we have any money left by then. I heard that was sort of a costly trip and we've got kids and I have a new addiction to support. I suspect both of those locations would have some righteous wetland areas with CPs to photograph.

Back