What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Nepenthes for Outdoor Culture in Los Angeles?

Hi Everybody,

My primary interest is growing orchids outdoors year around in Southern California. Here in Glendale, CA (a little more inland than Los Angeles) I grow quite a few orchid species under shade cloth and directly on trees. I also grow tillandsias, bromeliads, rhipsalis, epiphyllums, succulents, crinums, ficus, ornamental gingers, etc

Does anybody know of any Nepenthes that I might try growing alongside my orchids? I found this great Nepenthes website but inland Southern California has a larger temperature range than coastal Southern California. Which Nepenthes have the greatest elevation and/or latitude range?

Has anybody in inland Southern California successfully grown any Nepenthes outside year around?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Hello epiphyte and welcome to CP's. This is Jay. I don't know if there are any you can grow outside in LA, but I am sure someone here will be able to help.

Welcome to terraforums!

I'm sure you can grow some highland neps out there, they'll just need to be acclimated. What kind of humidity do you get? Also, you should come to a meeting of the LACPS (los angeles carnivorous plants society) some time. The next one is in December.

-Jason

Hi Jay, fancy finding you on here! Do you grow any CPs in S/H?

Jason, the humidity is pretty lousy in my area but I'm striving to create a humid micro-climate in my backyard. I've got several large tank bromeliads and a misting system. Most of my orchids come from more humid environments and they are doing pretty well. But with my orchids, nearly all of which are epiphytes, I've found that I can substitute decreased humidity with increased water. Not sure if that's possible with Nepenthes.

Thanks for the invite to your society, if my schedule permits I'd like to check it out. I'm the new publicity chair for my orchid society...perhaps our societies can exchange informational fliers?

Haha, not exactly MY society ^^. I've only been one time. But plenty of people come and there are often great deals on plants. It sounds like you have a good setup. Many nepenthes growers also grow orchids, so I have a feeling you'll do well. Just start off with easy, expendable neps :p

Hello epiphyte and welcome to TF!

My outside climate is very similar to yours (not really coastal cali--Lakewood, CA), and i have found the intermediate nepenthes do very well outside. N. ventricosa, maxima, alata, sanguinea, thorelli, truncata, fusca, and hybrids involving these plants tend to do very well for our climate. More demanding plants can be grown with a little TLC. My plants adapted in a matter of weeks and are making amazingly thick, colorful pitchers and leaves.

Hope this helps!
Frankie

Frankie, thanks for the list of outdoor Nepenthes. I'll give them a try and see how they do.

Back