What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any maxima X bongso owners out there?

I'm capable of pleasing all the neps I currently own except this one. It's not dying but it's growing very slow and never makes pitchers. I have 3 cuttings and all are growing a bit faster than my lowii & inermis plants.
I'm getting the hamata to pitcher so I figure if he's happy then humidity/light must be high enough. But this plant just aborts it's tendrils as the leaf expands. Am I keeping the soil too dry? the potting mix is pure american LFS (complete with twigs, roots and old tractor tires...) and is watered fully 1-2 times per week. I've heard of people sitting their maximas in trays of water. I've never done this with any neps but maybe it will help?

Any thoughts will be appreciated!  
smile.gif

I got a bongso x maxima during the summer, and put it on my windowsill. It grew relatively fast for me, and pitchered well. I honestly think it prefers warmer conditions, as the sun coming threw the window it was in got pretty hot and, unlike my other nepenthes there, seemed to thrive. Mine is potted in sphagnum moss, with about 50% humidity, and I water it by the tray system. I sit it in an inch or less of distilled water, let it evaporate out of the tray, and then water it again throught the soil until it sits in about an inch of water. Now that it's Winter and the temps and light levels are lower( especialy here in Alaska) the plant doesn't seem to grow nearly as fast, and is slower to pitcher. Where did you get yours from?

I got mine from Orchids Ltd here in Minnesota. It was a 1 meter long pitcherless cutting from which I made more cuttings. I've got one cutting growing in all conditons; lowland, intermediate and highland. It will make leaves (slowly in any temp) but none of them ever pitcher. The leaves are very large so perhaps it's just waterstarved it gets the same fertilizer water & RO water routine as the other Neps. odds are one of the cuttings wuld like the temps and take off since they're all clones from the same vine. Humidity is always 80-100% in any of the terrariums.

Back