What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any hay fever sufferers out there?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've been allergic to cats, trees, molds, dust, ragweed, plantain, pollen, and something called althernaria (sp?) all of my life. Not fun if you enjoy outdoors things like gardening or pets - which I do. I used to receive monthly injections to deal with it. Don't know if it did any good. In the past six years, my symptoms and thus suffering has been greatly reduced. I may have my sneezing fits from time to time, but rarely have itchy eyes or trouble breathing, anymore. How about you?

Jim,
When I was a kid growing up in Missouri (pronounced misery
tounge.gif
), I was allergic to oak tree pollen (and we lived in the middle of a forest of 'em
tounge.gif
), animal danders, dandylion pollen, etc.  You name it I sneezed at it.  During the winter my mom would fatten me up on peanut butter and honey because she knew come spring my allergies would be so bad I'd get too sick to eat and lose a lot of weight.  We moved to Colorado and that helped eliminate the oak pollen and some of the other plant pollens I was allergic to but what helped the most was the heart surgery (coarctation of the aorta) when I was 13.  I was one of the first heart surgery patients at Fitzsimmons Army Hospital.  After the surgery, my allergies all but disappeared.  I still have to be careful of animal dander, especially cats, but for the most part, allergies seldom trouble me anymore.

BCK

Wow, I find that very interesting that your allergies abated after your surgery!  Anyone ever have any theories on why that happened?  
rock.gif

Tamlin is currently sleeping off another allergy attack but when he revives sufficiently I'm sure he could add something to this.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lavenderdawn @ May 09 2004,8:13)]Wow, I find that very interesting that your allergies abated after your surgery!  Anyone ever have any theories on why that happened?  
rock.gif
The doctor's guess was that the improved flow of blood helped by flushing/diluting the antigens that were created by pollen and dander instead of letting them build up in one area. Ie, my eyes, lungs and sinuses. This reduced the severity of my allergy attacks.

BCK

im allergic to everything that you can be allergic too. everything you said Jim im allergic to. i even know when my sick months are.

They part of allergies I hated was when my eyelids would invert. Scared myself looking in the mirror when they did that a couple times.

Tree pollen acts as like a drug on me. It's more than sneezy/ itchy for me, although it is all of that too. I can't think or concentrate. I am very much like those folk you see being tended by nice young men in clean white coats, where the walls are padded. I am IRRITABLE: if someone asks me to pass the salt it's enough to set me off like a rocket. I can't drive. There is no medicinal remedy that will help, and frankly I have quit looking. The one medication that is effective is both expensive and illegal so I tend to sleep a lot during the day which is why I am posting this at 3:30 AM. I've had the condition all my life, but really didn't become aware of it until my late 20's. I did a year long pollen statistical concentration study at the University where I identified and measured the different species concentrations daily for a year, and am able to identify my most acute pollen senstivities as red maples and rye grass. The maples are finishing their flowering now, and I will have a respite for a few weeks, and believe me I need it. So does Valerie!

For those of you who dont suffer: imagine hanging right on the edge of a sneeze while you have to continue to function, and you'll have some idea of what I go through, except for me the edge of the sneeze lasts for a month or so.

My friends all know me and are able to love me despite myself during this season. It means a lot, since I am plumb LOCO!!!!

I think I'm allergic to bunnies (though I've only touched ONE b4!)
wink.gif

Its a curse not being able to touch those cute furry things...at least I'm not allergic to DOGS as well!
wow.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
wow.gif

cool.gif
laugh.gif

if your alergic to tree pollen, go to the Great plains. No trees here. (but i did plant some nice oaks and maples in the yard

Back