What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any fertilizer?

Hey everybody! It's been a while. I have a lil' problem and its that my nepenthes aren't producing pitchers any more, all except the khasiana. Last summer was very harsh in puerto rico and the nepenthes really took it hard. After that they started recovering but non are producing pitchers. Should i use fertilizers? and which one should i use? do u guys sell any?

thanx

I wouldn't recommend fertilizers, i want (mine at least) them to eat naturally. If they want to eat, they'll produce pitchers.

I think they might still be stressed a little from heat , but i doubt it would have carried on this far. If khasiana is still pitchering, then i think it would be heat stress for the others. Khasiana is a real trooper. Give 'em some time, and they'll pitcher again. This part is really a guess so don't work totally off this.
smile_m_32.gif

We only recommend fertilizer for healthy plants, and that should be applied in very dilute form.
Also, we find that Nepenthes recover from heat stress quickly. As soon as our Florida nights begin to cool down in fall, our more highland derived plants will show signs of recovery within a week. The leaves plump up and the new growth will be large and strong.
There are other factors that may cause a lack of pitchers, such as too low of a light level (did you provide extra shade to protect them from the harsh conditions?), and not enough humidity. N. khasiana is like what NepMaster stated: a real trooper. We can grow it here in south Florida outside with no shade cloth-even through the summer, and get large pitchers even with mid day humidity drops.
Look at what you did during the harshness of summer to protect the Neps, and maybe change the conditions back to the way they were before when they were happy. Also, figure you will need to protect them again with the arrival of summer.

Trent

Fertilizer would be a big no-no,as fertilizer generaly encourages lush growth with small or non-existent pitchers when used in too high quantity.
And since you`re plants already aren`t pitchering I would definately not use it! Just provide the best conditions you can untill they recover and start putting out there beutiful death traps once more:)

Actually pond boy, I wouldn't say it's a big no-no for neps, but that it should be used sparingly and only on healthy plants. As you said, his isn't pitchering and I agree with you and Trent, fertilizer might make the problem worse.

Back