What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ant infestation

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I was looking at my pitcher plants and noticed there were tons of ants crawling all over them is that OK?
confused.gif

Maybe.

The ants might be feeding off nectar from your Sarrs but there is also a chance that they are moving in and bringing aphids along. For safety sake I would take the plant in question and fully submerge its pot in water for a few days. That'll kill any ants living in the soil and stop an colinization attempts

My pots are already sitting in water but now the ants seem to have left
smile.gif

Keep an eye out for a return of the ants. They could have gone back to the colony to tell them where to find some nice nectar.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-VenusAshTrap- @ Sep. 06 2002,7:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">#### ants! get a pin and push em' in lol.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Exactly what VenusAshTrap said.

DIE, DIE, DIE!!!
travis
tounge.gif

I am sensing aggression from you two....
wink.gif

Do you need a hug?
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ Aug. 20 2002,10:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe.

The ants might be feeding off nectar from your Sarrs but there is also a chance that they are moving in and bringing aphids along. For safety sake I would take the plant in question and fully submerge its pot in water for a few days. That'll kill any ants living in the soil and stop an colinization attempts[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Pyro -

Ants bring aphids? Can you elaborate on that a little? I never knew there was any relationship between those two pests.

Thanks.

Leo

A h... hug..... sounds... nice... NO!!! Death to ants!!!

Aphids are to ants as Cows are to humans. Ants milk aphids for the sweet dew that they produce, they love the stuff.

(just putting my 1/2 cent in)

Evelyn
biggrin.gif

hey, im always seein' ants in my plants but they never last long........

Kevin

Back