What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another one to id

Hi, I've owned this plant, which I presumed was a lowland nepenthes, for over a year and kept it on the windowsill after it outgrew its fishbowl terrarium. It wasn't pitchering (no kidding) on the sill, but did spout a couple basil shoots one day! Excited, I decided that it was stupid to keep this gorgeous plant in a humidity-lacking environment so i put it in with my highland plants and within two weeks it formed this 4" pitcher!!! The first pitcher since its fishbowl days and showing more mature characteristics. I tried having it ID-ed back then, but it was still too young to know.

Anyways, I still have no idea what kind of nepenthes it it, so if someone knows, please let me know! I bought it from an odd source: a funky furniature store in Sacramento, CA. All the woman selling it said was it was a nepenthes, she didn't know what kind.

Thanks!

smaller2.jpg
smaller.jpg

Maybe a maxima and/or spectabilis hybrid?
confused.gif

If the leaves are reddish, I'm sure it's an xRokko.

The leaves have a slightly orangeish tinge now that it lives in the terrarium. Here's a picture which shows the leaves and might help IDing:

smaller3.jpg

I looked up Maxima and it seems like the closest in coloring so far, though the peristome is a little broader and curvier.

What do you think?

-LIA

Looks like a x balmy koto or x rokko, both are thorelii x maxima hybrids made by the Japanerse and are fairly common in cultivation here in the USA. Mr. Bruce Lee helped me on this.
biggrin.gif

Ohh yes my nepenthes leafs from the unknown nep topic look eaxactley like those and it the same color.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

you might want to take the rocks out of the pot. it would make it alot easyer for the plant to put out basils shoots. instead of working itself around them.

just a thought

I would agree, you plant looks like it has a little one growing next to it. I would repot it into a bigger pot or take the rocks out to get more little plants.
biggrin.gif

I am going to go out on a node(hahaha) and say it's a N. rafflesiana x mirabilis, because it looks very much like the one I have here at my office.

Regards,

Joe

I have an N. mixta that looks identical to yours. Though there are several hybids with N. alata that look very similar t oyour plant. It will be easier to tell when it gets larger.

The peristome has gotten redder...
smile.gif

smaller4.jpg

Maybe you guys are right about removing some of the rocks, I hesitate repotting it though, because of the potential for shock.

Groovy! Thanks for all your imput, by the way!

wow.gif
I have that exact same plant! I brought it to Peter at California Carnivorores and he said that it was a N. holland x maxima.

SunPitcher

Very pretty. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to say for certain exactly what it is. Appears to me to be a N. maxima hybrid with perhaps some N. spectabilis, N. thorelii

Tony

SunPitcher:

I'm in California too, near Santa Cruz, where are you??

Back