What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey, I was going to put these in the other March Gallery thread, but there are a lot of big photos here, and I didn't want to grind people's machines to a halt. Anyway, here are the latest from the collection, in no particular order. Some first-time pitchers this time, too!

First up, the latest from my N. alata "boschiana mimic":
N.%20alata%20boschiana%20mimic2.JPG

Next up, this is the same N. alata "luzon red speckled" I posted before, and it shows how dark they get over time:
N.%20alata%20luzon%20red%20speckled3.JPG

Here's the latest N. thorelli x aristolochioides pitcher:
N.%20thorelli%20x%20aristolochioides4.JPG

OK, this one's cool. I've had it for a while, and it's finally pitchered. It's a N. ventricosa x bongso. This just opened, and I expect the lid to rise more, and for it to color up even more over the next week or so:
N.%20ventricosa%20x%20bongso3.JPG

And here's N. x Splendiana. This is an upper pitcher; my cutting only seems to make those so far (only two yet):
N.%20x%20Splendiana2.JPG

And finally, the rarely seen N. x Manny Herrera, which is N. mirabilis x khasiana. This is also it's first pitcher for me:
N.%20x%20Manny%20Herrera.JPG

Capslock

Thanks for posting those photos! I belive the N. alata I have is the var. boschiana form! My pitchers look identical to yours there.

EDIT: for Josh's reply, what camera is that?
smile.gif

Nice! Very crisp photos too!
smile.gif

Lovely photos! I really like the N. ventricosa x bongso.

What is the parentage of N. x splendiana?

Very nice! Those are some rarely seen pitchers!

SF

Great pictures!

What kind of setup do you have for growing your plants?

If I visited, I would definitely try to grab the alata luzon speckled, and the ventricosa x bongso when you weren't looking.
wink.gif

those are some crazy good pictures, so crisp!

What camera are you using?

Thanks all! I'm using a Canon PowerShot G2, which gets all the credit. Those pics are about as close as I can get without it getting blurry, and I have to take a few to ensure one is in good focus, as the auto-focus tends to pick strange things to focus on occasionally. Although it's a little bulky, I really like this camera, though. If I can get good pics out of it, anyone can!

Colinliew, the parentage of N. x Splendiana (a Bruce Bednar hybrid) is N. kampotiana x maxima. The lower pitchers, from pictures I've seen, are much more richly colored. This plant has just produced a basal rosette, so I should see sometime in the next few months.

Pat, I have a really simple setup: It's just wire racks with fluorescent lighting. I tape some mylar sheets to the sides to increase the light. I'm lucky in that my enclosed, but unheated porch is perfect for highland neps, and the air in San Francisco is plenty humid without any help. Here's an example of one of my larger racks:
Porch%20setup3.JPG

This one has a fluorex compact fluorescent light and an "envirolite"-type compact fluorescent fixture. Together, they produce abundant light. Most of my other racks just use four 4' fluorescent tubes, which work great too, and are really economical.

Capslock

Great pictures capslock!

About the manny herrera, my cousin and I got an amazing deal on one of them.

We got the original mother plant from Manny for free!!! Its the size of a friggin bush. We took a few cuttings. The actual plant looks a little shaggy from the change though.

He was very genorous and gave it to us along with a few others we bought. He was selling stuff because he was moving. Really nice guy.
biggrin.gif

regards, hamata

Back