What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anoles

Bought another anole about 3 weeks ago. Pretty sure is a male (if not its a pretty big girl LOL). Now I'm not so sure its a green anole like my female. Do male green get the spiney crest down its back? This guy also seems to be alot more scaley than the female (if that makes sense). I do not see the yellow streakes the Knight Anole is supposed to have on the shoulder and face, but could that be because its not old enough yet? He is much bigger than my female, how fast do the Knights grow, he's not that big?

Well, any idea of what it could be? I've looked at every picture on the web I can find but the pictures are either blurry or don't match. He does go between green and brown colors, and seems to have brown splotches even when green. Don't think its a brown anole, as I thought they did not get green?

The two are in individual tanks. He looks pretty happy, hunts often, drinks water from the leaves and bromelaids; although for his size I'd say he's a tad skinny. He's going to the bathroom pretty regular, so here's praying he is parasite free.

Well let me know if you have any ideas on how I can tell what kind he is. No way to post picture, sorry.

Well, if he is turning green, he is definitely NOT a brownie. I don't know about whether or not he could be a knight anole without a pic of him. And yes, both greenies and brownies have crests. If it's a spiny crest, it's probably a knight anole. Just keep an eye on his growth for a while. If he gets over eight inches, he's a knight anole.

Good luck!

Thanks FlyTrapGirl,

Does over 8 inches include the tail or is it snout to end of body?

He just had his first shed since I've had him, and aside from I think he's still too skinny, he's doing great :)

Anoles, cool lil lizrds, just had a nice article in the newest reptiles magazine. Well, you said they had a crest on its back, to my knlowedge, greens dont have that, could be a small cuban or jamaican (the most common large anoles for sale). How much did you pay?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cephalotus88 @ Mar. 22 2003,05:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anoles, cool lil lizrds, just had a nice article in the newest reptiles magazine[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Cephalotus88: I just read it too. I do agree on the knight anole thing... From my experiance around here in TX (GREEN ANOLELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
They can have variables such as stripes/spots or lack of the ability to turn brown
wow.gif
so, just keep watching Oh, also 8 inches in that mentioning includes the tail. if a measurement doesn't include the tail or carapace ridges (turtles and tortises) then it is referred to as a SVL or Snout-vent-length. Just some words of wisdom from the herp guru (read obsessed)

Nice, lushious, excellent, beautiful, gorgeous,... oh... what? Oh, yeah, a green anole!
biggrin.gif
Only seen about 200+ of those in the last couple of years...
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

Linda,
yes, including the tail.

P.S. Dyflam posted a pic of a green anole. I will try to find a pic of a knight anole so you can compare them.

Well, this is the best pic of a knight that I could find:

anoliseqmale.jpg

Anole pics Pics of over 130 anole species.

Jamaican anole (Anolis garmani)
garmanizlh05001.JPG

Knight anole (Anolis equestris)
eq1.jpg

Hi all,

Wow, thanks so much for all the replies
biggrin.gif
Well, if we include tail I'd put this guy at close to 8 inches, wonder if he'll let me get a ruler that close to him to confirm
biggrin.gif
I'd say he's more tail than body, and I'm pretty sure its a second tail cause its pretty funky looking with a crook in it part way down. How much did I pay for him? I think it was $7.00, the same as all the Anoles in the tank.

Voodoolizard, thanks for the site you posted the garmany looks pretty close. Unless he needs to be older to get the yellow streaks I'd say he is NOT a knight. Well, I love him no matter what he is, cause now he's a McCalmont!!

I dunno if ya'll ever considered cubans? No, not the cigar, the anole...
confused.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Back