What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Androvanda

What can I use as associate plants for androvanda? I have in the tan live sphagnum and can add miniture payprus. Should I also get a water lily or something? What about a water poppy?

Perhaps duckweed? The Savage Garden seems to think highly of it. You could try planting some bog plants in containers and put them in there. My landscaping book says, for a bright spot, arrowhead arum, blue and yellow flag, cardinal flower, cattails, dwarf umbrella palm, imperial taro, lotus, pickerelweed, water canna, water lily, water hawthorn, and water plantain. For oxygenators, you can use anacharis, cabomba, hair grass, hygrophilla, parrot's feather, sagittaria, and vallisneria. Since you can't use water hyacinth for a water cleaner, you might try to find some freshwater mussels to put in. The aldrovanda might even be able to trap the larvae if they have a free-floating stage. I dunno about water poppy, but it's probably worth a try if you have space. What kind of planting are you thinking about?
~Joe

PS - It's kinda vauge as to what types of plants those are, so I'm not certain they're entirely submersible. Shouldn't be hard to find out though.

Well I have been researching androvanda. I asked Medowview and Think I will go with their suggestions. They said no to duckweed. I am not sure why but will not use it. I was trying to create a naturalistic setting. Not really but just to make my androvanda happy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Feb. 13 2005,12:00)]Well I have been researching androvanda.  
I think you mean Aldrovanda

Thank you, Starman! And to some others, its d. capillaris, not capillaries, and rubricorpora, not rubricorpa.

Thanks for the correction. HA HA D. capillaries thats funny. No wonder medieval doctors bled people they were looking for Drosera
smile.gif

I use Typha minima and Carex panicea in my Aldrovanda tank.

I tried adding duckweed to my 10gal indoor Aldrovanda setup and it was a complete disaster. The plants quickly overgrew the entire surface of the water which was a major lighting problem and even worse, as the older duckweeds died, water molds began feasting on their remains. It was very difficult to remove the dead duckweeds because of their small size.

In the end, I opted not to use accessory plants and my Aldrovandas are thriving and have turned a very beautiful maroon color. Maybe this problem was peculiar to me (or to indoor setups in general) and may not apply to outdoor growing, but I'd thought I'd offer my two-cents.

Good luck with your attempt, and happy growing.

Tre, stay clear from Duckweed it'll take over, and is very hard to get rid of compleatly, I'd also stay clear of salvinia as it could also tae over and shade the alovandra... I'm guessing you have them growing outside you can grow papyrus, varigated sweet flag, pickel rush, water iris.. to name a few heh

Water hyacynth is nice but will grow fast and gets huge roots that wil entangle your alovandra same with the water letuce. Next time you go Cp'ing look for plants growing in a cuple inches of water the non-Cp's arent illegal and wil be a nice contrast!

-Jc

I bought a water sprite, Gamecock Iris, and payprus to put in the tank + the live spagnum. I think it'll work

water sprite... RUN that stuff grows like mad! Consider getting some dwarf anubias, they like low light conditionsdont grow fast, and look very nice!

-Jc

Can you tell me more about Water Sprite? I have not been able to find anything about it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ April 04 2005,1:51)]Can you tell me more about Water Sprite? I have not been able to find anything about it.
Simply Google "water sprite" or "Ceratopteris".

Thanks Bob did not know the scientific name. Now my plant enclycopedia will be some help.

Back