What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andenes...

This doesn't have to be specifically for Andenes, but here  goes.  I found this picture on BobZ's site.PIC

Notice the jagged leaves in the pic?  What's up with that?  Is this normal?  My N. Coccinea's do not have jagged leaves.  Now, that I've said that, a person from Canada (I forgot their name) says theirs are jagged too.

Why, just different clones? This has me pretty confused, cause to me, different leaves= different species.

SF

Um, have you considered that the leaf you mention is in the background? It is not a Nepenthes leaf!

You can clearly see an N. x coccinea leaf in the forground, with a dessicated pitcher.

Hey Snowy,
I'm not sure those are the leaves that the pitchers are coming from
confused.gif
if you look, there is also a long, thin, paler green leaf in the picture. Both the aforementioned leaf and the pitchers look like they're hanging down from a plant above the the pic....???

Hey Snowy:
I've never seen a coccinea with jagged leaves before
confused.gif
In adition, that pic is a picture I took from my coccinea earlier this year
biggrin.gif
The leaf that your refering must be the one in the backround
wink.gif
, and it belongs to a hole different plant, but I don't know the name of the plant
sad.gif
If you wish, I could take a pic of it. The leaves on a coccinea are long and wide with deep green color and if you look closely, they have tiny white hair. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Erick

The leaves in the background look like staghorn fern to me.

Oooopsss.... my mistake! **Bangs head on keyboard**.

In case anybody was wondering where in the world I would get such a crazy idea, someone questioned the veracity of my N. Coccinea in the CPUK forum, saying theirs had jagged leaves.

Lets just say, it's been a hectic day. I didn't think there were neps with leaves like that!

I really need to go relax for a while!

SF

Looks like a Philodendron or possibly a Monstera?

Trent

Relax Snowy, a lot peolpe believe in the Jackalope too
tounge.gif

Some Nepenthes have serrations on thier leaves but nothing like that! N. mirabilis is most notable for it's 'pointy' leaf sides. hybrids with it seem to carry the trait with them also.

hi. im the guy that has the coccinea with the jagged leaves. the leaves have small points at the edge of each leaf. it feels weird if you run your finger along the edge. eatch jag is less than a milimeter. i think coccinea is supposed to have that
confused.gif
? Zongyi (i will try to take a pic that is clear enough to see the little jagged edges.)

the leaves look alot like a species of aroid , looks like philodendren , monstera or something , those leaves must be big . my n. coccinea does not have jagged leaves like and the leaves coloration is different .

The serrated leaf edge on N. coccinea is the mirabilis ancestry coming through. The serrations can vary in size, sometimes more pronounced than typical.
N. truncata will sometimes produce a serrated leaf edge, especially on a new ground shoot.

Trent

Wow. Are you saying that the serrated leaves are the coccinea leaves in that pic, or you have one that is a little serrated? I assumed it was the pale yellow leaf and the serrated ones were from something else.

Joe

The big green leaves in the background are Philodendron selloum or a hybrid cultivar involving that species. The big out of focus leaf in the upper right is a N. coccinea leaf.
Sometimes mirabilis will make a leaf that has more pronounced serrations than is typical. The serration points end in a white hair. They are fine in texture. Often this characteristic is passed on in hybrids with mirabilis in their background.

Trent

That makes sense. Before this thread, the only thing I have ever heard of with bizzare leaves were the ruffled leaves of certain Sulawasi N. maxima forms/

Joe

Those wavy-leaved maxima are nice. The N. Corn.bak (maybe the same as N. Gentle) has this characteristic. The oddity is when truncata ground shoots have pronounced serrations. As the shoot grows larger, they disappear and you get the smooth edged butterfly shape.

Trent

Well, my truncata that i just got from malaysia has thorny leaves, the spikes being about 1/5 of an inch long on the sides. I thought this was extremely odd. But, the newest leaves are smoothe. Is this just a trait of the young plants?
confused.gif

Well, my truncata that i just got from malaysia has thorny leaves, the spikes being about 1/5 of an inch long on the sides. I thought this was extremely odd. But, the newest leaves are smoothe. Is this just a trait of the young plants?
confused.gif

Seems to be. And as the plant gets larger and produces ground shoots the very first leaves will have that thorny look.

Here's a pic of the hole plant for all you doubtful people
biggrin.gif
I really don't know the name of the plant.
Dcp_1648.jpg

Hope it helps.
wink.gif

Back