What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An interesting question

I've never read anything concerning the following question...but hopefully someone can give some input...

Regarding light and pitcher development/coloration:  Is it the light that the rosette (main portion of the plant) is exposed to that has the predominating effect on a pitcher's development/coloration, or rather the amount of light that the actual developing tendril/pitcher is exposed to?

For example, if the plant itself is growing in the presence of high, sufficient light levels, but one of its newly produced leaves extends into a shaded area (perhaps under the shade produced by a neighboring plant) would the pitcher that forms at the end of this shaded leaf develop just as well as it would if it (the developing tendril itself) were exposed to the same high light levels that the main portion of the plant is exposed to?

I tried to make this sound as clear and concise as I could...any replies would be greatly appreciated.  

Tom

My experience is that it's the light hitting the pitcher. I've had pitchers that are partially shieled by leaf show coloring in the lit areas and much less in the shaded part. I wonder if there isn't some influence from both, however.

Capslock

Sorry to make a useless post, but GREAT question!!

Casper

Light seems to affect the coloration on individual pitchers on my ventrata. The first pitcher to develop within the near total shade of the confederate jasmine vine is all green. The ones exposed to more sun seem to redden more.

As for size, I think that is more health related. Growing a big pitcher is a fairly substantial expenditure of plant energy. The sun, humidity, and soil must be right. Throw in a few bugs, it's heaven.

OTOH, I've seen pitchers develop funny shapes from being at odd angles. I've seen pitchers start to grow, then get blocked by another leaf, stem, whatever. Recently, with all the new pitchers exploding, I've seen a lot of things that seem to affect pitcher development at least a bit. Mostly it's light and health I still would suggest.

To be clear, I'd say both. The whole plant being healthy is important, one. But, two, the light on the individual leaf does seem to affect its development, IMO.

Another example is my coccinea. The pitchers are a wine-blood red now. They looked like a wine stain on a white tablecloth when I got them. The overall health has affected the coloration. However, those leaves are getting a lot more direct sun than they used to. Again, I'd go with both.

Silly me, correction:

Eh, the NEW pitchers on the coccinea look good. I'm a gardener not a miracle worker.
confused.gif

While I'm at it, leaves are photosynthesis machines. So, it's a certainty that light on each leaf will affect the growth and life of the leaf itself, and the overall health of the plant to some extent.

Somewhat tangentially, I have some pretty ratty looking (sun burned), leaves producing some large pitchers right now. So, sometimes the looks of the leaf can fool you.

id say it depends on the light hitting the pitcher. a few pitchers on my unknown nep are developing smaller sized pitchers than the ones in good light. Zongyi

Back