What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

am i nuts

hi nice people of pft. saracenia is the pitcher plants right ?
well i guess it is,,,,,,,,,, ?!!
anyways.
if anyone would ship seeds of it for S&H + sase just reply
smile.gif

Pitcher Plants include Sarracenia (at least 8 species, there is much debate whether certain plants are seperate species or subspecies etc... there are also various forms, subspecies, varieties, cultivars and unlimited hybrids), Nepenthes (somewhere around 86+ species + unlimited hybrids), Darlingtonia, Heliamphora (5 or more species), and Cephalotus.

Sarracenia take years to grow mature from seed, as a matter of fact, all pitcher plants take years! It's really pretty late to grow them as you will need to stratify them (kept cold in refridgerator) for 1 month before sowing. By the time it gets to winter dormancy they might not have developed enough to survive. Unless of course you want to keep them growing during dormancy, not sure how you'd adjust them to have dormancy during the right time though.

I would first attempt growing mature plants before you try growing them from seed. Especially since you currently have no living CP.
tounge.gif

tounge.gif
lol very cute reply about the dead plants..well I'm not laughing for long, this is my first try at growing VFTs, purple pitchers, and sundews so hopefully mine will survive

Hello Raw

Sarracenia are the Americanpitcher plants which typically grow as tall,thin, upright tubes with a lid or hood...as opposed to the tropical vining variety of pitcher plant (nepenthes). Two sarras that grow in a different form are s. purpurea and s. psittacina which grow in a rosetted clump of recumbent (laying down) pitchers. There are other pitcher plants including darlingtonia (Cobra Lily), heliamphora and cephalotus.

Seeds do take a very long time. You might want to try your hand at a plant or two before getting seeds. Some CPs are easy to propagate and some can be tricky.

Clemsonrola...your plants will do just fine. :)

Suzanne

Back