What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always make sure you heat your water!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I make my RO water outside, and I didn't let it heat up one night before watering my plants. I had no idea it was as cold as it was, but the next night I was in the car at about the same time and the thermometer in the car said 48-50. I water plants that were in a terrarium at about 80 degrees with this water, and here's what happened.

'Jungle Bells'
DSC02946.jpg

Clip. clone 1 AKA N. clipeata X (N. clipeata x N. eymae) (Happy, Ron? hehe)
DSC02934.jpg

DSC02945.jpg

DSC02944.jpg

DSC02943.jpg

DSC02942.jpg

It was a very hard lesson learned. Don't just assume your water isn't too cold. Let it warm up inside a little before you water. If I'm lucky, the Ceph's roots weren't damaged too badly. Lucky for me, no pitchers on the clip hybrid were harmed, and although the pitchers on the Cephalotus and 'Jungle Bells' were harmed, they are still useful to the plant. Hard lesson learned, but it could have been worse. Some of my Sphagnum has bleached, too.

Yeah I did the same thing last night. Mine seem to be doing okay right now. I hope it doesn't push some of them over the edge since my light timer stopped working a couple days ago and I was too busy to notice... lack of light made some of the plants look pretty nasty. They're tough, they can take it!

xvart.

Torturing the plants again eh?

Since when have you had a CEPH! and Why aren't you making leaf cuttings for me!
:poke:

Jk Nice plants, Didn't think that It would be to cold for that, ill be sure to watch out next time I get water from out side!

and dont forget, sometime the water can also be too warm!
We had a post a few weeks ago where someone brought their plants inside from a cold-snap overnight and dumped warm water into the pots!
thats very bad too..

ideally the water should always be the same temp as the media/pots..
if its 40 degrees outside and your plants are out, water with 40 degree water.
if its 80 degrees inside the terrarium, water with 80 degree water..
(plus or minus 10 degrees is probably fine! it doesnt have to be exact! ;)

the easiest way to do that is to let the water sit in the same environment as the plants for awhile before it is used.

Scot

Back