What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aloinopsis mushpileiana

So I went to bed and the succulent plants looked fine but this morning the Aloinopsis malherbei that I got last week had withered. I touched it and it was soft floppy mush. I had not watered it at all so it should not have been over-wet like my Crassula and Kolanchoes who melted on me previously a couple years ago. Anyone have experience with succulents / mesembs melting in their care and why they do it? Maybe it's not water to blame?

Temps: 30*C days / 20-25*C nights RH: 20% winter / 50% RH summer (naturally), lighting 96W power compact daylight lamp 6-8" above the plants.

Thanks for any input you may have.

I have seen "sudden melt" on Lithops and Baby's Toes (Fenestriaria). It is caused by overwatering, however I have never done it myself (Lowes comes to mind). If the roots have all rotted off, there probably no hope left.

-Glad to (try to) help, Clue

Thanks Clue, the thing is I didn't water it and it was dry when it came so I can't figure how I killed it unless the light misting I gave it after potting (with dry potting mix) just to get the dust off the leaves was enough to wipe it out. Is a difference in light levels/light length or temps enough to mushify sensitive succulents plants?

The Aloinopsis schoonesii (from Lowes actually!) is still doing fine. I like how Lowe's Cactus Collection tags have plant care info on them and it says "use very little peat in the soil" and when I unpotted it I saw their plants were all densely rootbound in a peat based mix - I don't think I saw any Perlite or gravel at all in any of them.... lol!

Might have been crown rot then. Never mist unless it's morning.

-Clue

It was fine for a few days after potting/misting, nice and firm, the flowers were beginning to raise up then... splat!

I met a cactus guy at the plant nursery today that said he pretty much gave up on Mesembs cos of such touchy disasters as this one. He runs a small plant leasing biz so if even he has trouble with these types maybe I don't feel quite so bad! :D

Do you grow cacti/succulents/mesembs under lights?

NEVER ever give up Mesembs! :lol:

Ferociously sunny windowsill, man. It's outrageous!

Back