What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

algae

Ok, I have had an influx of algae lately and it is driving me crazy. I don't think it is having an effect on my plants, but it is unsightly to say the least. What causes this? I just switched to using a canadian peat, and that seems to be the source (I switched from scott's), but it seems that the stuff I have mixed up with the scott's is also allowing it to grow. I usually just put some peat on top, or "till" the top of the soil with a toothpick, and that seems to work. I am worried about my seed, sars, and drosera. I did have problem with the gemmae I received, in that I only got one to take and algae, was rampant. any help would be appreciated. I do have ban rot and another type of fungicied from flytrap.com.

Hi.try planting the seed on lfs,seems to work better to me.Peat seems to have to much junk in it,it work ok in potted plants but not for starting seed.

Jerry

algae will grow on anything wet and well lit. I dont think there is a way to stop it except maintenance or chemicals.

Joe

i thought algae would grow because it was feeding on the nutrients in the soil mixture, and that rinsing the soil very well before planting anything in it was a good way to stop it before it starts?
if that's the case, will the algae eventually run out of nutrients to live on and dissappear on it's own?

peace,
technoracer

Yes, but it takes a long time. I've had my oscars(fish) for 8-9 yrs now and the algae finally went away a little over a year ago. So far I've had no "problems" with it except some say it looks horrible. My idea is that it looks like generic moss. So I just let mine grow and my epiphytic plants love it.

Joe

Oh, yeah it does feed on nutrients but its almost impossible to rid your area of nutrient that is usable to algae which is pretty much anything. It wont grow on moss unless there is nutrient directly on the moss however anything wet over time will collect usable nutrient for growth of algae just simply dust and dirt particles have trace 'things' in it. Dry environments are not favorable to algae
wink.gif

Joe

I also recommend rinsing your peat and sand. It can help. There have been tests on this (by Pinguiculaman, Joseph to name one person)...and he tested the peat before and after rinsing and found quite a difference in PPMs between the two. Yes, its kind of a pain but it can reduce the amount of nutrients in the peat/sand.

I leave my peat outside in the rain to leach it and also wash the peat.

Back