What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Algae

I'm really starting to get a lot of algae build up in my pots. Fungicide can't kill it, and I don't think I should be allowing it to spread. Does anyone have any ideas? Is anyone else having this problem?
confused.gif

I have algae growing on some clay pots, and the only way to get rid of the stuff is to scrub the outside of the pots with steel wool and soap every couple of months. When algae gets on top of the soil, I just scrape it off and replace with fresh soil.

Jœl

Unless it is swamping your plants I say let it grow. The algae is usually a base layer in establishing a microenvironment in the soil, next you wil get mosses and stuff.

If you want to purge it then scrape away what you can and then top water often to leach away any micro-nutrients that the algae is living off of.

Algae is a sign of an inbalanced environment. Often it's too much lighting, too much nitrates, or stagnant water. All of these contribute to its growth.

my 2 cents...

I know this doesn't answer your question but interesting reading.

Algae

smile.gif

Back