What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albormarginata 'black' ?

Hey guys i've been looking for an albormarginata 'black form'

Does anyone know where i can obtain this plant?

Drew

Me too!!!! There is an ebay seller using that pic to sell his albo, but I doubt it is the real thing. Anyone know for sure?

Might check out Tony's site...

Tony owes ME one. lol Lil' nep devil.
smile_l_32.gif

I am looking also.

This isn't really applicable right at this moment, but my black albo is starting to outgrow the terrarium, and I'll probably take cuttings soon. If only it would make a basal shoot!!! Do albos make shoots regularly? This is my only one.

Capslock

Try trimming the growth point without cutting the stem. That should do it. After that, send me a pm, and we'll work something out
smile_n_32.gif

Albomarginata is one of those species, like eymae, that is very reluctant to form basal shoots. I've a 2 metre vine of albomarginata var rubra that has lateral shoots but no basals. Different forms may behave differently.

One note about trimming Nepenthes. My advice is don't do it unless there is a second growth point lower on the vine, either a lateral or basal shoot. It is not unknown for a Nepenthes with a single growth point to die when that growth point is removed.

Yup, I have no laterals or basals, but when I do, I'll chop up the vine for cuttings. My tank with this plant is at work, and I can't exactly hold a 2-meter vine! LOL! Here's a pic from when it was younger (I don't have any newer pics):

N_albomarginata_3.sized.jpg

Capslock

That is one beautiful plant. NOW I WANT ONE TOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
that is the most beatiful thing that i have ever seen!!!

Really beautiful.
Max, would you say it prefers highland conditions or more intermediate?

To spur ground shoots, let the vine continue to grow, but hang over the edge of the pot so that the growth point is lower than the potting media. A trick I learned from the gang at ABG many moons ago.

Ahh, good tactic, Trent. That's when my amp decided to make basals. I'm growing it in intermediate conditions - about 65 degrees night to 80 daytime. It's in a tank at my office and is heated only by the four two-foot fluorescent tubes above it. It pitchers on every leaf, and they last many months, with some over a year old. The latest pitchers are about 50% bigger than the one in the photo.

Capslock

i wanna see new pics!!! take pics, take pics, take pics!! ::chants until the rest of the forums carries me away in a coffin::

Capslock is that really albomarginata "black" it looks more like N.albomarginata var. pubescens

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Sep. 21 2005,8:41)]One note about trimming Nepenthes. My advice is don't do it unless there is a second growth point lower on the vine, either a lateral or basal shoot. It is not unknown for a Nepenthes with a single growth point to die when that growth point is removed.
Not trying to contradicting you but I have never had this experience. I hacked the top off my 'Effulgent Koto' and had a new growth point in a month. A raff I was shipped lost its growth point in the mail and it popped a new one out a couple months later. I also took top cuttings off my gymnamphoria and a complex hybrid I have ([thorelii x albo] x maxima I think) and it put out two new points. And 4 of my plants this year had their growth points eaten by caterpillars before I hit them with Orthonex and they all tossed out new points rapidly.

i must say, wat a lovely plant, its now on my to-buy list.

I would advise against cutting until you have basal shoots. I took cuttings from my black albo when it was about 4' tall. The cuttings lived, but the plant died...:(
my 2 cents

Ps. great pic Capslock!

As far as i know, this is called purple spotted or somesuch (by the only source i've seen so far: California Carnivores). Never heard it referred to as Black. It's a misnomer in any case.

I'm glad i saw this post, because the vine on mine has reached about one meter and i was wondering what was up with the basals--or lack thereof.

Back