What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alberta anyone?

Kate

Far too old to grow up now.
Hi,

I used to be a regular poster here a year or so ago, however since then I have moved back to Canada (Alberta to be exact) and had to leave ALL (yes I mean all) of my plants behind with my ex-husband. Fortuantely he donated those that he wasn't comfortable caring for to the local botanical gardens and the University, the rest he tells me are thriving.

As a side effect, with the move, the divorce and darn it there really are no decently reliable sources of plants here that I have found, I haven't been able to get back into the hobby yet.

Well now my 4 yearold is dropping not so sublte hints ("Mommy your sundew terrarium was so pretty, I miss it." "When will I be big enough to have my own Penthes?" and things like that) So I was wondering, where do CPers in Alberta get their plants? Are there any local sources? Or do I just keep trying the local garden centres and hoping?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Maehem, our paths have never crossed, but Flytrapgurl has made mention of you. Your name just came up in a recent topic, started by someone calling themselves "Mybabypic".

Perhaps Tim Malcolm (Dodecatheon or Zongyi Yang or Sib /Syble can be of assistance?

Hullo, my name's Carl and I'm in Southern Ontario, pleased to "meet" you
biggrin.gif

I have a really unimpressive collection so far but it is slowly growing- I have had to grow most of my specimens from seeds except for a few.
If you want a little packet of D.capensis 'alba' seeds to try, PM me, I have a stupid amount of them which noone else here seems to want
biggrin.gif

Hi my name is justin and I live in Calgary. Igot a few of my plants at a place called Sunnyside. I called them up a few weeks ago and they will be getting some vft's, a few sundews, and some neps. Thats about all the tips I can give you on cp's in alberta. I recently came across a post that hade a few canadian vendors listed. Just check in the "Canadian Troubles" post and click on the link given.

PS to Carl: I might be interrested in some of your seeds if you don't mind
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks Justin, where in Calgary is Sunnyside? I swear this city confuses me no end you'd think I would have gotten used to it by now but I haven't! lol

Carl, definately interested in the capensis seeds, I'll PM you my address. Thanks so much!

Hello Maehem!
I like in Montreal and order more or less frequently from nurseries in British Columbia, there's quite a few of them but you certainly have to look for them.

I know it's terribly common, but I have been hoarding my capensis typiical's flowerstalk and kept them in small packets, never found the time to extract the seed, but if you want some they're yours.

Hey- to both of you (Kate and Justin), PM me your addresses and I will get some of these out to you, I have no space for the amount of seeds I eneded up with, I should be able to send you at least 30 seeds apiece
I know they're nothing special, but they will be pretty when they are ready and they seem to be a super ideal "first attempt" as far as seeds go, they are likely the most impressive "out of the gate" of all the Drosera I've tried so far
biggrin.gif

PM'd and thank you!!!

Pmed you.

The sunnyside is in the Bowness area, it is right next to the Totem. It is a very long and narrow building, you can't miss it!

Thanks man!

Hi Maehem I have some ping cuttings started. They are about the size of a dime. Let me know if you are interested in a trade when you have something. Also if anyone else is interested let me know. I allso have some Nep seeds started.
Stephen

I also have some ping cuttings on their way. P.Moranensis is the only one that grow for me ^.^....
But how can you possibly ship a ping without it completly breaking in the process? I lose a bunch of leaves just by tranplanting it (with care!), I don't imagine what would happen in the mail...

I used to ship mine in small boxes with the roots wrapped in damp LFS and plenty of bubblewrap around the entire bundle.

If you go to www.ebay.ca you can find other cpers in Canada. By emailing them through ebay and explaining your situaion I bet some would help.

Back