What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alata or ventrata?

Cindy

Staff member
They look very similar...if they are not labelled, how do you tell?
confused.gif

Well, N. X 'Ventrata' usually has a wider peristome than plain N. Alata. Ventrata is also usually more colorful in lower light than Alata.

Mike
smile.gif

Hi Cindy,
The same question we all asking in Singapore.
Make a little research; the following are my findings (open for correction):

N. Ventricosa has smooth swollen pitchers, irregular peristome, wider mouth often with a narrowed 'waist' and the pitcher overall is shorter but wider than N. Alata.

nep-ven-bp3.jpg

While N. Alata is typically bulbous in the lower half and cylindrical above, smaller mouth with a smoother peristome.

nep-ala(f1)1.jpg

N. Ventrata takes on a mix of both parents’ traits:
From Ventricpsa; irregular peristome and slight wider mount than Alata.
From Alata; pitcher length and bulbous in the lower half and slightly cylindrical above.

Ventrata.jpg

Please discuss

Hi Jalan Kayu, thanks for the phone call yesterday.
The nepenthes labelled N. alata from Island nursery, the one you and I bought, was confirmed to be N. ventrata by Tony Paroubek in the identify that plant forum I posted on 27th June.
I quote from Tony < " Hi Neil,
I would start off with the N. alata pictured on that link.  This appears to be N. xVentrata.  >"
Which is what you've believed all along.
As for the number of pitchers, yesterday I was wrong when I said 20. I counted it yesterday evening and there were 39!!
Best wishes and happy growing, Neil.

Keep an eye on the peristome. N. xVentrata will show some of the pointy spots along the outer edge like N. ventricosa while N. alata doesn't. Leaf structure is also useful. N. ventricosa looks like one tapered leaf with the leaf edge going all the way down to the stem and wrapping around. N. alata has a clear petiole.

Tony

Thanks, guys! I thought the perisome was the give-away but wasn't sure.

Back