What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

air stones

hey every1
how does a air stone increase humidity? Dosent it just blow air bubbles?also if i want to humidify an open tank, which would be better, an airstone or a mister?

thanks

The airstone pumps CO2 and O2 into the soil. Im not an expert on the situation, but id say that when you use an airstone your supposed to use ither gravel and sand and match the water level to the level of the sand. This provides constant nutrition for the plant with both air and water. I dunno about the airstone being used to increase humidty, but if you ever used an airstone for an aquarium i can tell you that it usually is pretty humid inside the tank. If i had to guess id say that it kicks water into the air. I think a mister would just help to water the plants evenly, but not help the humidy much.

An air stone increases humidity by passing air bubbles through water.  As the bubbles pass through the water they pick up water vapor and release it into the air when they pop at the surface.  It speeds up evaporation of the water by increasing the amount of surface area the water has (the inside surface of the air bubbles) exposed to the air.

I think a mister would be better for an open tank.  An air stone would have trouble keeping an open tank humidified because it would be trying to humidify the whole room and won't be up to the job.

smile.gif

BCK

LMAO! Sounds like you know it all dont ya big C Kid :p

took all the contreversy outta that one

If ya can't use the knowledge they stuff into yer head in college, then it just swims around in yer head trying to get out and drives you crazy
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

wow.gif

BCK

Back