What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air potato - dioscorea bulbifera

• Thread starter eruppert
  • Start date
Checkout how this vine grew in only 4 months!!!

And look at the tubers!
wow.gif

Air Potato

I wonder if the size of the tubers matters when you plant one, anyone know?

Eric

That's really cool.
smile.gif
Is that the same thing as potato vine? Looks like it. I didn't know they made those potato things. Are they edible?

Suzanne

ya can you eat it or even take cuttings
wink.gif
i may be interested

Wow, very nice! I have always wanted to grow this member of the morning glory family. Keep me in mind for trades if you ever have extra?

Tamlin,
Morning glory is Ipomoea, in the Convolvulaceae. This is a yam species, in the Dioscoreaceae - completely unrelated. It's a beautiful plant though.

Giles

Just be careful where you grow these things. They have become nuisances in some states.

Air potato (Dioscorea bulbifera) is a non-native invasive vine which has spread throughout much of Florida, as well as parts of Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/diobul.html

Hehe, I tried growing one in my vivarium, and it grew like mad. Had to trim it everytime. It covered the back so well and stared takinng over everything else. So I got rid of it, now my viviarium looks plain =(. I think I'm going to grab a couple more.

Back