What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air holes, do they matter for a VFT?

Hello all,
I've just repotted my VFT into a round fish bowl. I've put some sarahn wrap over the mouth of the bowl as a cover and to keep the humidity in. My husband thinks I should poke air holes thru the plastic to give it air, I'm not sure what to do. any suggestions. appreciate your time

biggrin.gif

it is my understandng tha vft's need air movement to combat the growth of mold. no air movement=mold=sick plant=maybe a dead vft.

i would remove the saran wrap and make sure that the soil is damp. the sides of the fish bowl will help to keep the humidity level up.

peace,
technoracer

Hi wintertime, Welcome to the Forums
biggrin.gif
!
Unless you live in a very dry climate, the fish bowl will be able to keep the humidity up without any cover at all. VFTs do fine as long as the humidity is 35% - 40% or higher. I live in Colorado and our humidity is 50% or higher during the summer, but during the winter it can get into the upper 20s to low 30% range. Hopefully they will all be dormant and tucked in for the winter by then.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (technoracer @ Sep. 30 2002,10:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it is my understandng tha vft's need air movement to combat the growth of mold.  no air movement=mold=sick plant=maybe a dead vft.

i would remove the saran wrap and make sure that the soil is damp.  the sides of the fish bowl will help to keep the humidity level up.

peace,
technoracer[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Mine lives in a bubble just fine, but if you cover them compleatly the soil should be let to dry out after each watering (one watering lasts my plant about two weeks, but it's erm a odd individual)

Plants DO need fresh air. Unless the plant isn't green then it needs some sort of air exchange. Without it it can't complete photosynthesis and Techno is right about the increase in probability of molding. Unless I am wrong an vft don't hardly use photosynthesis. If this is the case micro-organisms in the growing medium might be suplying enough CO2. But I wouldn't count on that lasting forever.
confused.gif

Back