What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air circulation

• Thread starter Warlock
  • Start date
Should I remove the plastic cover that comes on the pot? My area isn't really humid, so I was leaving it on. How important is air circulation?

Ditch the cover. VFTs do not need humidity (Adnedarn and I have a running debate as to the effectiveness of humidity at all with CPs.. personally I believe it is WAYYYYYY overrated).  At any rate.. your VFT doesnt need humidity, ditch the cover, not only does it promote good air flow, it reduces the chance of overheating and also allows the plant to catch its own prey.

Good luck
Steve

Very important. Not only can I parrot the advice I have read, I can speak from experience. I bought a VFT last June and I put in a well-washed plastic pretzel container, filled with an inch of DI water. I kept the lid on at night and took it off during the day. the plant grew well. Each new trap was bigger than the previous, going from 1/2" -> 1". Then I had to go out of town for a few days. So I decided to leave the plant covered. The next several traps were smaller and or developed part way and blackened. As long as they sit in water, they don't even need a lid on for the night, either. Air circulation is an underrated part of the CP puzzle, just as important as appropriate light, water, temperature, food, and soil media.

@ jimscott
Did you just leave the roots out in the water, or did you just pour water onto the substrate?

I put the purchased plant, as I purchased it, in the plastic pretzel conatiner and made sure the VFT container was in ~ 1 inch of water. In short, it was open tray method. No exposed roots.

Ah...I might try that. I'm gonna try to leave it in some water. Should I leave it outside? I live in Pennsylvania, and the weather's been pretty nice, so would it be ok if I left it outside?

Ya, sure, VFT's can go outside now. Just keep 'em away from critters that prey on the predator. I speak from experience! They will have real light and more energy to have bigger and more colorful traps. They will catch their own bugs with efficiency. Wher in PA are you. I am in the Reading area. Please don't say Erie!

ease the lid off over a week or so in order not to shock the plant.

I'm from Willow Grove. I left my vft outside yesterday, but took it in at night so that slugs won't eat it.

Willow Grove. North of Philly? Not too far from Reading.

Back