What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advise on rooting N. ampullaria cutting required.

Hi, as the title says, I'm looking for some advise on rooting a Nepenthes ampullaria cutting. Any advise would be appreciated.

I received an ampullaria 'lime twist' basal in a trade recently. Potted it up in the usual nepenthes mix (cinder, orchid bark, perlite and sphag) and stuck it outside. After several months it has resumed growth so I assume it's now rooted. Is this a vine or basal cutting?

I'm not sure if it's vine or basal until I receive it.

I received an ampullaria 'lime twist' basal in a trade recently. Potted it up in the usual nepenthes mix (cinder, orchid bark, perlite and sphag) and stuck it outside. After several months it has resumed growth so I assume it's now rooted. Is this a vine or basal cutting?

Glad to hear it's doing well!

Quite strangely, N. ampullaria isn't exactly easy to strike as a cutting for me, especially if the vine is already woody. I've tried several times, succeeded only perhaps twice. And I live in year round lowland conditions. If my memory isn't failing me, a friend from Malaysia also experienced the same difficulty. ???

I haven't had much success rooting ampullaria either. Maybe 1/3rd of my cuttings have made it. It seems to be important to use the growing tip with a good bit of vine attached.

Though I am from Malaysia, I am quite sure Cindy is not referring to me. That makes quite a few of us having difficulty rooting ampullaria.

I rooted a number of lowland nep cuttings from gracilis to northiana before. Ampullaria happens to have the lowest success rate. I tried taking cuttings of 2 different adult plants. From growing tips to woody vining stems. In total of 9 trials at different times, only 1 rooted. It is one of two basal cuttings dipped in water. Took 2 months to get roots emerging.

Thanks for the replies. It's looking like this is going to be more of a challenge than I first imagined.

Amps are a fairly soft tipped plant, so cuttings need atleast 4-6leaves from the growth tip to strick, cut on a 45 degree angle, the leave it in either pure soggy spag, moist perlite or in straight water, you will need a constant high humidity and temps of 25-30c.
don't use rooting homone as many lowlanders dislike it and preffer water, neps have natural root stimulating hormone and powders and gels can counter these, however in saying this I find many intermediate hybrids preffer added hormones.
Basal rosetts are the easiest to take and in some cases will form their own roots and make a new plant by themself, also like amny lowlanders (expecially mirabilis) they will focus on leaf and trap growth before roots, I have had mirabilis form several traps and leaves before even thinking of making roots.
I find seed is a good way to propogate amps, I have recieced both seed and small 1-3cm plants and they reach a 10-15cm diameter in a matter of 11-14months when grown in lowland conditions year round.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Adelea, I've always been perplexed on making ampullaria vine cuttings. Next time I have one I will remember these ideas for making cuttings.

Back