What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adventitioius roots on d. capensis?

I'm new to CP so I'm not sure what to do about what appears to be roots sprouting from the bases of my new D capensis. The crowns are held more than one inch above the soil on the stalks. What appears to be a pinkish root, about 1/8th of an inch across and a quarter inch long, is sprouting from the base of each crown. Should I just leave it as is and let it grow all the way down to the soil or should I lay the stalk over a little so the root will reach the soil sooner? Because of the way the sundew was packed for shipping, I wasn't sure if it is normal for the crown to be so high above the soil level and I didn't want all my new roots to dry up or give up before they make the trip all the way down.

Thanks for any tips!
Jason

Just let it go. It will anchor itself in due time. If the plant gets too tall and snaps, then you'll just get new growth points from the site of the break and the roots. In the rare event something like this actually happens, you should also probably be able to root the portion that breaks off. D. capensis are very good at taking care of themselves. I've found that the crowns on my D. capensis often bifurcate shortly after producing those big pink roots.
~Joe

PS - Welcome to the forums!

corn does the same thing.

Back