What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adjusting nep to lower conditions

i have a real big problem with small fruit fly type bugs that have swarmed my gardenias. i was wondering wich of my neps/ping could i take out of the terrarium for a while to catch these bugs. in my terr. it is 65-80% humidity. and i am currently growing n. rafflesiana, n. ventrata, n. ampullaria, n. sibuyensis, n. macfarlenei, and a ping group planting (unkown).
is there any of these i can take out of the terr. for a while to catch these bugs, or do i have to slowly adjust the plant to 30% humidity?
if i have to adjust the plant to my house conditions (around 30% humidity, and 60F), which plant would be best for that?

What!?!? No sundews? Pings do OK, but it's my sundews that make the shortest work of clearing out gnats and other small flying insects.

If you have any D. scorpioides in a pot, place that next to your Gardenias.

yes i have a few sundews i forgot to mention, sorry. i have an d. adelae, d. spatulata, d. capensis, and a baby scorpioides, wich is way too small at the moment.

peanuts1gang, It occured to me that you may grow all your plants in a terrarium invironment, which I don't. If you do, you'll need to take a few days to adjust them to the lower humidity. Any of the first three Drosera would work, but I'd start with the largest plant or the one with the most leaves. I used a small D. filiformis last year to control gnats in one of my daughters plants and the leaves were totally covered after a day so I traded it out for a binata. It got covered too.
cool.gif

Back