What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adapting D. adelae to (mostly) full sun.

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey guys. I've got a big pot of D. adelae. I'm slowly adapting them to outside culture in mostly full sun. Right now they are in a big rubbermaid container and every week i'm inching the container closer and closer to the Sarracenia. Right now it's about 1.5 feet from where it started, which only got a short bit of morning sun.

My goal is to grow it almost in the same area as the Sarracenia, or at least until I fry them and they come back looking like little rubies. Anyone have any tips or ever done this?

They are growing well, fast like an adelae, and so far only a little bleaching has occurred on the old growth. The only weird thing is the ones around the edges seem to be growing faster than the ones in the middle. Weird.

The "red giant" D. adelae is doing pretty well, too. IME they aren't as fast or hardy as the regular clone, however.

D. adelae refuses to grow for me outdoors at all. I have tried partial shade, full shade, full sun, you name it I have tried it. I think the heat is what does them in... ??? They grow so well inside under the fluorescents that I have given up trying anywhere else. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

I had one outside. It was doing fine until the aphids found it. Then I made it an window sill plant!

last summer i put some D. adelae roots outside in my little mini bog. they sprouted maby a month later after i had totally forgotten about them. very red plants but not much dew. the plants died another month later because the bog dried out for a bit. ill try it again this summer!
Alex

Good luck JLAP!

I lost an adelae to the heat before too, with only morning sun, and you're farther south than me so good luck.

Post pics when(if?) you proclaim victory.

Oh the 20 degree cold snap killed everything tropical outdoors.

Lol, well that's that.

thats to bad. sorry to hear that. how much did you loose?

Oh I dunno. 50 plants maybe and a couple of red giant clones.

They all came from the same mother, too :( Had 'em forever lol. It's OK. The roots were mushy and unsalvageable. They are cheap so I'll just get a new one.

Back