What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acclimating Nepenthes

I just bought a pair of Neps (a ventricosa and a muluensis x lowii) and they arrived today. Now, with my last order of CPs, I acclimated them very poorly, causing a couple of near deaths. In addition, there really aren't any species-specific care sheets that I've found for these, my first two neps. What should I do and not do with them to help them best adjust to this climate?

As a courtesy to the owner of this forum (and FlyTrapShop) please refrain from posting outside vendors.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't mention CP Vendors... you should edit out the vendors name.

Leave them alone once you have them in place and treat them well according to their status (highlander/lowlander) and pray for the best! Not much else you CAN do.

I grow both of those, give it a nice level of humidity (80ish?) a fresh drink of water, and keep it in the setup you plan to care for it in. Both of those can be grown in highland conditions.

The Muluensis x lowii is a very slow grower so it's hard to watch if it's happy. It took mine many months to start showing off, but once it did it was a really fun plant to watch. It defiantly likes temperature drops. It's summer here and I'm having a hard time doing a good drop at night so mine is mad at the moment, plus it might be in indicator that it doesn't like the high temperatures. Currently my setup is reaching mid to high 80's. 8(

Hope that helps a little.
Nate

A SE window sill is enough light to get them started, without frying them right off the bat. Then move to a SW sill. Then you'll have to find artificial lighting for fall->spring, so you don't go through a period of no pitchering.

ventricosa is bombproof itll be fine just about anywhere. i have a muluensis x lowii. its acutally pretty fast. its growing in open room humidity and temperatures. it has 2 pitchers open(one from me and one from when i got it) and has 2 more on the way! its a very beautiful plant and im sure youll love it!
Alex

I have no too much experience on the nepenthes but some with many "regular" plants...

I was really worried with the process of acclimating for the nepenthes, but I have discover really the important thing is give air, a lot of moisture, light and check on the temperature acording to if they are low or highland... and a loot of time.

My last 2 plants (rafflesiana and ampullaria) go direct to the outdors and they are doing good... my bellii was looking very bad, I almost thing was gone but after I take it out its doing better, no out of danger but is holding.

Mist the plants a couple times a day. I find that helps them settle in to their new environment much easier.

Here is one way:
After you pot them, keep them away from the light for a few days.
Have the pots in a sealed baggie. When you put it where you are growing in, open the bag 10%/day. One way is cutting the corners and then going from there.
It depends on where you are growing them. I would not put them in baggie in the hot sun....:blush:

Cheers,

Joe

Back