What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acanthostachys strobilacea

Has anyone tried growing Acanthostachys strobilacea as an epiphyte - I've taken a spare plant and washed the roots and wired it to a piece of bark and hung it up - now we shall see just how tough it is - but what are the chances of it existing like a tillandsia?

Best regards
Chris

Is it a true epiphyte? I am not very familiar with Orchids but I know epiphytes. If it is, then with the right care it should, if it is not then you'll probably not be succesful. Most non-epiphytes will not grow epiphytically for anyone or anything but I said most not all.

Joe

Hi Superimposedhope - no i don't think it is a true epiphyte - but I suspect it grows on rocks and other low humus places, that is why it may be able to cope. Well if it dies at least i've had a go....
Best regards
Chris

Well if its a litho then that should suffice for epiphytic life in fair to good conditions. Are you mounting or basket growing or how do you plan to grow it?

Joe

I've washed the roots -and bundled them up and tied the whole thin to a stick and hung it up. This is a beast of a plant - but really tough - so I'm hoping for the best. The fruits taste good too, though it's a bit like a bulldog eating a wasp when one eatsc them...
Best regards
Chris

Back