What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About grow lists... about cp software...

Is there any place that I can keep a grow list that I could edit without having to get a website?  There is no way I could maintain a website and I realize I would have to have the skill set to do so and I am sorely lacking in that area.

I don't personally have a lot of CPs so I know it sounds sort of silly particularly in consideration of all the grow lists I have seen people post that are longer than my arm BUT...
I have several CPs and I purchased plants for me that will be delivered this spring. When I receive them, my grow list will double.  My thoughts were to keep track of which plants I have right now BEFORE I end up with 100 in the years to come.  

Also too, the school where I volunteer has a lot of CPs now and the teacher was wondering if there was any softwre out there that was a "fill in the blank" type software so she could keep track of when she received a plant and the source as well as when she began to germinate seed as well as notes.  Does this software exist?

Oops, would somebody please move this question over into General Discussions. I screwed up and posted it in the wrong forum. Sorry.

Hi,I can't help with software,but cpuk forum has a growlist section where you can post your plants.

Jerry

But then I'd have to be a member over there and I only have time for one site.  I'd love to be able to have time for two CP sites.  Is there anywhere to suggest an area for growlists for our site?  Maybe if this other foum does it, we can do it? We have an edit feature to every post so if a CP dies, it could be removed and when we add a plant we could just edit it in. Maybe that would be too much bandwidth?  I know we are a free site and maybe that other site charges a fee for posting. Doesn't matter if we get an area or not as I'm staying here.  Maybe someday I will enter the new Millenium and get a website.  

What do you use to keep track of your CPs and where they were from and such?

The subject has come up before. Perhaps a Moderator can explain how or why TF is arranged the way it is?

Although you prefer not to spread yourself too thinly on another CP site, it wouldn't take any more time to register there; utilize the grow list site; and import it to your signature in your profile. It is quickly and easily edited to reflect changes. There are many people who use both sites but almost exclusively use one or the other as their discussion forum. In other words, it wouldn't take too much time to register and borrow, without overextending yourself.

There are several of who have used this approach to provide a grow list, including Cool85k5, myself, BigCarnivourKid, and Rattler MT.

I just edit additions and subtractions when it becomes necessary and one can include info about who, when, and where they came from, right on the grow list site. For those of us who don't have a personal website, this was the quickest and easiest way to procure a conveyable grow list.

But won't CPUK become...hum... "angry" at this practice if it's abused?

So many people are members of both forums. Moderators from one are members of the other and vice versa. Grow lists are imported from there to here and topics are repeated in both places. So far no one has taken exception.

The only abuse I've ever noticed was when one teen tried to import a "beef" from one to the other and ran into the same people rebuking him. That and use of signature commercially. Otherwise, it actually advertises the other forum.

They don't seem to be in competition with one another. One is more international and adult while the other is more American and has a fair amount of teens. As far as I can tell, it is a peaceful co-existence.

I'm thinking I'll have my girlfriend's husband set aside a page for me at his website to use as a growlist. Now all I need to do is remember to ask.

As far as software, I found these sites but none seems to meet my needs.

Grow'Em 2000
http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/software/downloads.htm

Gardener’s Journal Premium version 3.1
http://getutilities.topcities.com/Free-Ga....on.html

Garden Organizer Deluxe v2.2
http://www.downloadthat.com/software/view.asp?prodid=4942

These two are more for people who are prone to forgetting what they planted where-
Garden Planner v1.4
http://www.smallblueprinter.com/garden/

3D Garden Composer 2004
http://www.gardencomposer.com/

More educational for kids-
Garden With Insight-
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/gwi.htm

I don’t have any of this software.  I am thinking of trying the demo version to both Gardener’s Journal Premium and Garden Organizer Deluxe.

I use tripod to host my growlist. I keep track of it in microsoft word and update it weekly on my site
smile.gif

you are looking for software to have on your own comp?

or software that will update a site for you?

for your comp is easy.. vb.net, a little programming and one can be made for you.

but for website.. you either have someone maintain it for you, you maintain it, or gain access to a host and just edit it when you can.

if you are looking for a simply page that lists your plants, i can host one for ya. but giving you access to the list is the issue, cause then you have access to my other folders
biggrin.gif

but that is basically how things go.

Come over to CPUK, register and then post a thread in the growlist section. There's no problem and it will only take you a tick.

Out of interest, are people wanting to have a dedicated section here at Terraforums for growlists?

Well, Several friends and relatives of mine in the UK found that site for me and they pointed out that there were grow lists posted there.  I have thought about registering at this other site and I'm thinking I am comfortable here where I am and besides which... my grow list has less than 10 items on it.  No need embarrassing myself in two places ;)

As far as the software, I would like it to be simple to use yet capable of warehousing whatever the school has going on.  I will probably purchase software that I can share with the school.  For me, I'd just like to keep track of what I get and where it comes from and where I plant it and if it lives or dies. Being able to note when I started germinating a particular seed would be very nice.

Hi Patch! You stated this-
"for your comp is easy.. vb.net, a little programming and one can be made for you.

but for website.. you either have someone maintain it for you, you maintain it, or gain access to a host and just edit it when you can.

if you are looking for a simply page that lists your plants, i can host one for ya.  but giving you access to the list is the issue, cause then you have access to my other folders"

Hmmm, vb.net and a little programming... oh help me here Patch as I'm about to drown in computer language.  Please understand that not all that long ago "web sites" were something I found underneth my stairs down to the basement and a feather duster took care of those quite nicely.  I appreciate your offer but I am in way over my head when it comes to computer anything other than software that I purchased and use every day which somebody had to hold my hand to teach me how to use.  I do appreciate your offer but I don't want access to anyone's folders.

Let's see what my girlfriend's husband comes up with for me in the next week. He said he'd come up with something for me.  Gosh Patch, thanks so much for the offer though.  That was really sweet.

Oh my gosh, I missed what Alvin Meister asked. Yes, I would like a dedicated section here at Terraforums for growlists. I could edit that myself and I wouldn't need to bother my girlfriend's husband every time I bought a plant.

Moved to General Discussions as per posters request.

You might consider combining the smallest of use from the Non-Carnivorous Plant categories as well as what Phil had suggested several months ago - combining the Fresh & Salt Water forums, to make a little room on the home page.

Laura, actually a file in word or similar program works quite weel for a notepad to keep track of the info you want. ive tried it and it works but im to lazy to do it so i write the plant name, date i recieved or sown seeds and who i got it from on MOST of my plant tags. i havent done it all on some but name and date is on all. this did lead to a bit of confusion last week as the name on the tag of a ping hybrid i have wasnt who i got the plant from because i put the originater of the cross down and not the person i recieved it from as that info was given to me with the plant. as to the growlist problem. just join the CPUK forums. very lil goes on over there that i keep track off but its an extra referance for Utrics as there are a few dedicated "lil pots of moss" growers over there that dont frequent here. i throw my 2 cents in once every week or two is all normally.

I'll bring up the issue of growlists here on TF.

There is probably a dedicated piece of software for general hortculture, with features like sowing dates. Looking on Google would probably bring something up. Something mundane like Excel or Word could also be used.

Thank you for moving this to General Discussions as I still need help with software selection. The results of my Yahoo/Google search are posted back a little bit.  Slim pickings.  I must be missing good software.  

About a grow list for me...

Ta Da!     http://www.geocities.com/dkurtz60084/laurab.html

I have the passwords and all but have no idea how to remove or add from the website that was created for me. I am somewhat dependent on my girlfriend's husband but he is such a good sport and doesn't mind at all.  I think I would like to see a grow list forum here if at all possible.  

Hi Rattler, several small flies in the ointment. I have no idea how to use Excel. I can use Word but that's about it.  Next little issue... I used to use surveying flags in assorted colors to denote the locations of native plants. On the flags was written the binomial, date planted, source and other pertinent information.  This system worked just fine for me UNTIL my youngest went and surprised me last May and gathered several hundred of my surveying flags to present to me as a "flag arrangement" as opposed to a "floral arrangement" for Mother's Day. I think I all but passed out as I was so overwhelmed with joy that I had to go inside to lay down.  Little boys have their hearts in the right places but they certainly do think bizarre thoughts and they often put them into action.  I had a spiral notebook but somehow it was taken to school and the pages I had used were ripped out and discarded. When I finally recovered my notebook, it had super hero drawings in it and other doodles.  I had a file of over 500 photos of plants and where they were located on the property saved to a file on my desktop.  That was until my 4th grader had a need to print out photos of trees to go along with leaves he had collected for a science project.  He systematically deleted every photo that did not contain him, how vain.  Wasn't that special?  I had a box that had a big black skull and cross bones drawn on the cover that contained plant tags, receipts, and other notes from the past 5 years.  My wonderful husband said he threw it out because it looked like garbage and had a layer of dust on it.  The only thing in the garage that was mine and he tossed it.  Imagine that!  Another time I had to reserve comment in favor of going inside to lay down and that time I sure could have used a tranquilizer.  I am thinking I have a need for "a dedicated piece of software for general hortculture with features like sowing dates" as suggested by Alvin Meister that I can install on this computer that is now pass word protected.

Sounds like the need for a footlocker anchored in concrete and locked securely with chains and padlocks.

Back