What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
With my adventure to Denver Botanic Gardens, many a wonder had been witnessed for this day. I decided to take more pictures, as these are 90% of what crowds my photo storage. Sorry for the tater quality pictures.

Y23yerh.jpg
You approach the turnstiles and know that when you get there, you have to give the man two dollars or he won't let you inside... He examined my group and turned us loose inside.
We happened to go on on an event called Chihuly Glasswork. A large number of his pieces were placed throughout the park.

IJS1Egh.jpg
Romanesco broccoli. Quite spectacular.

yuWmTqG.jpg

QLdRBsG.jpg

Turning the corner, I happened upon a man doing a CP demonstration of some sort. This Purp caught my eye off the bat.

GElnQpW.jpg
More Carnivory peaks my interest.
We were instantly swarmed by small children on the spot. We cant stop here! We move on to the entrance of the Rainforest

TmTdmPZ.jpg

Titan Arums. These and a few other plants later in this thread are sealed behind large glass windows, completely off limits to the pubic.

k9Iyy6d.jpg

IBeyn1j

mrLlfvY.jpg

Upon entering the massive jungle Biodome, we were greeted by more glasswork guardians, and a large Spiny Palm.

i3I2MUo.jpg

LaJtToE.jpg

UZDc9rP.jpg

NwlcDOq.jpg

A small cluster of ant plants.

QfQSQTL.jpg

WNZhSXn.jpg

1Lwx08L.jpg

mOfZKOc.jpg

The mighty kerriodoxa elegans. Its shocking how massive these leaves are.

EYKyITe.jpg

Io6G0n8.jpg

puaCthE.jpg

Pretty.

q4se30A.jpg

NWZYPfl.jpg

I happened upon this rare spectacle involving a bromeliad.

0AoaYaa.jpg

I really love these guys.

SZePgF8.jpg

2I6lt4w

d4LB7wF.jpg

Another massive kerriodoxa bars our path once again. Theyre surrounding us at this point.

k4kDX9g.jpg

Leaving the Terradome for a momentary cacti run, we happen upon this guy.

ClVTVpB.jpg

MmOJNSb.jpg

Returning to the jungle, I find a small sign warning of clock vines. However its too late and theyre already upon us.

m6Np8jx.jpg

CQ5Tajn

r9VO5Nx.jpg

qbSA244.jpg

That sounds pretty wicked.

VdYutFm.jpg

More signs of impending Doom and Bloom.

jB8vZlu.jpg

MXq5OkK.jpg

Very large blooms with vibrant color. I really regret not seeing what they smelled like.

TIz2rwL.jpg

V7al0VQ.jpg

More of the sealed glass observation rooms fill the corridor. This plant caught my eye, a sure sign more down the road.

54y0LOh.jpg

lygEvDt.jpg

I believe these were Truncatas, as their peristome was very colorful, and their pitchers were forearm sized.

ItSM40v.jpg

Unique coloring.

B0j2SLQ.jpg

G2Ubemg.jpg

Flower Mode Activated

keQoCep.jpg

Y0Dki2u.jpg

Ga4bnoL.jpg

3HEq1sX.jpg

I really love these. It was funny how long this one's flower stalk was. They practically had rolled it into a rope around the inner perimeter of the glass.

e7eL28T.jpg

WOTa012.jpg

IdBe04J.jpg

An extremely vibrant and showy Japanese maple.

luLV1wP.jpg

Titan sized Euphorbia Obesa. Another one of my favorites.

YsBFR76.jpg

For some reason, they did not have their species guide out today. There were many of these guys that I really wanted to know the name of.

Rn6tTAi.jpg

balfp40.jpg

MGFYFW4.jpg

A9ZF9Yy.jpg

vkUaRbW
Fearing Pollination of slugs on my behalf, I wander off and become swallowed by a nearby bamboo forest. I got lost a couple times in this dense foliage.

TfrvBzO.jpg

i8gL3x2.jpg
At this point Im well into the forest and wonder why they leave warning of this plant in the heart of this chaotic wood. Madness, fear and loathing, intolerable vibrations in this place. Get out! The slugs were closing in. I could smell the ugly brutes. Flee!

18vVN0Q.jpg
These woods grow thick and tall. It is a difficult task finding the exit.

After more wood wandering, I was finally able to make it out of the park. Hopefully I can return in spring or mid summer
next year and catch the tropicals in bloom.

Last edited:
2 more that I had forgotten to add at the beginning.

dOOmM4S.jpg
My favorite of all common garden flowers.

iyQt3Hx.jpg
These prickly pears were literally basketball sized.

Last edited:
Great pics looks like you could spend hours exploring. Those truncatas look like maxima to me.Thanks for sharing your pics

Nice pictures! I wonder if humboldtii could live in that bromeliad.

Very nice, I remember they had the Chihuly glass at the desert botanical gardens in Phoenix when I was there back in April. I didn't have time to go through it, but it looked really neat.

Very nice, I remember they had the Chihuly glass at the desert botanical gardens in Phoenix when I was there back in April. I didn't have time to go through it, but it looked really neat.

Lol, I thought they were real, albeit strange, plants until you pointed it out.

Very cool. Plant paradise! :boogie:

very cool.i had fun going through the Adelaide Botanical garden while in Australia. but they had switched to mostly outdoor exibits and being there in the middle of their winter wasnt alot out and interesting.

though winter in Adelaide isnt what im used to as far as winter in Montana

Despite having lived in CO all my life, I've never managed to make it to the botanical gardens. Now I have to find the time....
In the picture of the hanging Nepenthes, there's one truncata, but I also see clipeata x (clipeata x eymae) and what looks like maxima or a hybrid further back.

This is pretty awesome! Thanks for the photos! The Denver Botanic Gardens are also famous for this ice plant (Delosperma) breeder who works there. Definitely on my list to visit.
Some plants I could ID:
Neoreglia spp.
Tillandsia cyanea
Episcia dianthiflora
Phrag. besseae
Pachypodium (possibly saundersii)
Encyclia cochleata
One of the cacti is an Uebelmannia
Myrtillocactus geometrizans
Mammillaria hahniana
Echinopsis spp
Selinicereus
Stenocactus
Tephrocactus spp.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I really enjoyed sharing the photos. Nothing fills me with more cheer and happy ness than visiting the gardens.

Plantman- that list is impressive. Nice identification skills there mate. I tried to get as many tags as i could in the pictures, but there are SO many.

Hcarlton- you should really check out the gardens next year. August/september it seems is the best.

Wow! That place is amazing!

If I'm ever out in Denver, I know where I will be visiting!

Back