What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A technical question

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So I know that the mass of petals on cultivated roses is a result of a hox gene mutation but I wanted to know if anyone has actually looked to see if that is the same case with this plant? Is there any literature on it?

Pyro,
to see if *what* is the same?
what does tarnok do that is similar to the rose?
I just got some from the petflytrap sale, so im curious what yu mean!
thanks,
scot

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scottychaos @ Mar. 20 2003,07:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">to see if *what* is the same?
what does tarnok do that is similar to the rose?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
To see if a hox mutation is the result of the phenotype.

Domestic rose blooms look the way they do because of a gene mutation that causes them to form massive numbers of petals (wild roses have only 5 petals.) S. 'Tarnok' also has flowers that have an increased petal number.

I got a question, is there a sort of dug or chemical to make polyploidy to speed up. Polyploidy make double sets of chromosomes which makes the plants be double or some times 3 sets of chromosomes wich make it grow bigger be healthier and stronger. What is the chemical called to make polypolidy happen a lot and is this alright to use on CP's.
confused.gif

Polyploidy does not always make a plant bigger/healthier/stronger. In fact most polyploid offspring of any organism are weak and problematic.

There are many chemicals that can induce polyploidy but I am not sure if they are safe or easy access enough for basic hobby use.

There are numerous chemicals used to induce polyploidy. Probably the most referenced is colchicine, but any chemical that prevents or inhibits the segregation of replicated chromosomes into daughter (divided) cells will work to some extent. I'd agree for most people it would probably be a pain to get your hands on pure powder due to it's toxicity (and I would assume due to its activity carcinogenicity) but you could call up Sigma-Aldrich and ask.

Back