What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A safe insecticide that works

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I have an infestation of aphids on a few of my S. purpurea. I have been picking them off and killing them by hand for about a month now. They just seem to come back in higher numbers each time.

I purchased some Malathion. This stuff makes me sick just to smell it in the bottle at the store.

Anyone else have a better suggestion for something to use? I had used Schultz Insect Spray in the past on CPs, but from the reading, this can cause them more harm than good. It has been several years since I used the Schultz product.

Does anyone know of a non toxic solution to getting rid of aphids? I have thought about submerging the pots in water for a day.

Thanks

Nick -

Last year I had aphids on a few VFT's and in a windowbox minibog with butterworts, sundews, and VFT's.

I used a giant rubbermaid bin the windowbox would fit in, and completely submerged them for 2 days. After that, everything was fine. I had heard one day was not enough and three was too much.

Good Luck.

Bill

Insecticidal soap is one Pyrethrins are another the other I would recommend would be ladybugs.
You can get them at most gardenstores.

biggrin.gif

You can submerge them longer than three days, I wouldn't go more than a week. 2 or 3 days should be plenty. You'll see alot of floating aphids. You may have to do it more than once. One thing to be careful about you could have some plants float out of their pots, especially if you use perlite.
The most entertaining way is to use the ladybugs. After your aphids are gone, the lady bugs can be recycled into plant food.

Back