What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A quick lesson on Growing cacti

losfreddy

Composter
Im getting some catuses from a private dealer and he was saying something about grafting the cati so that little buds of smaller cati form? Sokmething like cut 1 mm off the skin and use a rubber band around it for a month to apply pressure and a new bud will grow. Can anyone explain this to me?

Ok man, Here it goes.
The simplest method is a horizontal graft which is this:
1) You take a 'stock'(the larger plant with healthy root system)cut the top off so that it is just a little larger diameter than the 'scion'(the plant that you want to grow) Try to leave some new growth if possible on the stock.
2) Cut the base off of the scion so that it will fit on the stock; the rings have to cross each other in at least 2 places, the more contact between the rings the better.
3) Quickly slice a thin layer off the stock 1 more time so that the freshest contact possible will be made. It is imperative that both cuts are clean off any debris, only the natural juice.
4) Place the plants together with rings matching as much as possible and hold with a rubber band strong enough to hold with no slip but not cutting into the plants. The rubber band should go over the scion and under the bottom of the pot.
5) Place the new graft in a bright shade (no direct light) with 60-80%humidity. You don't want the new callus to dry out. After 1 week move to final growing area (full sun) and drier conditions.

Kind of a quickie
Best of luck
Joe

My question kinda fits this thread, so I'll just put it here...

Re-Grafting- are there any combinations that should be avoided??
I want to try grafting some haworthia offsets onto a jade plant... I know, it's really low risk, just from the number of jade plants we have to give away just to keep ours trimmed, but I was wondering if anyone here ever tried such a thing... it would look neat, if it worked... Anyone??

I would say the same things apply except watch for budding on crassula until the graft is totally healed. It is also likely to be very slick. It should work pretty easily though.

Joe

PS
You will have to cut the Haworthia well below into the beginning of the root otherwise the it will shed leaves and remove itself from the stock. Good luck

Joe

Cool, thanks!!
(oh sorry for forgetting the latin on crassula, totally slipped me mind)
I have more offsets of the haworthia than I know what to do with, if this works out I'll have some weird looking Christmas presents this year, I'll post a pic if I'm successful
smile.gif

Back