What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question, n ventrata

Hello nepers, I gotta question
This is the common N ventrata

The new shoots have been producing beautiful slender lower pitchers but once it shoots up and the leave size increases, all it produces are vines.

What's preventing it from making upper pitchers?

I figure out that the cpnditions are alright because the plant is able to produce nice lower pitchers

I read that sometimes neps stop producing pitchers beacuse of season. May this be the case? Also, once a shoot continues producing vines leaf after leaf, is there any chance that it'll produce pitchers?

Thankz
Thanks!

Sometimes when Neps start to vine they stop producing pitchers for a while, otherwise the weight of the pitchers might stop the vine being able to climb. Once the plant has managed to loop a few tendrils around a support it should start again.

My ventrata grew a bunch of new leaves during the winter that had only tendrils on them. As soon as it started warming up, all those tendrils started producing pitchers. All the new pitchers are uppers, and they're bigger than the old lower pitchers. I have about 4 or 5 basal shoots and they're all producing pitchers also. I lost count of all the new pitchers on this plant.

I think ill increase the light and put extra supportfor the plant, does that sound good?

My N. x ventrata wasn't producing pitchers; but I recently increased the light and now it is. So it sounds like you have a good plan, from my experience. Just make sure you have enough humidity, since this is also an important factor.

-Ben

So if the vine is not producing pitchers presumably because of the possible weight-would you(and if so how) would you go about staking it?

I just have a single bamboo stake in mine. the tendrils usually wrap around that although they sometimes wrap around nearby leaves. I'm gonna have to get a longer stake soon.

Thanks much CNCreefer! Will try your bamboo stake method
smile.gif

Make sure you get a long one, 'cause once this plant starts growing, it takes off.
heres a pic of my plant last year when I got it...it was in a 6 inch pot.
new%20big%20nep%201%20rs.JPG

and the same plant taken about 5 minutes ago. It is in an 8 inch pot now.
ventrata%205-05%20rs.JPG

Hi Ron
Your Ventrata looks very well indeed.They vine like crazy when they get going mine is doing a lap round the roof of the greenhouse at the moment
smile.gif

Bye for now julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So if the vine is not producing pitchers presumably because of the possible weight-would you(and if so how) would you go about staking it?

Ill use CNCrefer's method (Thanks
smile.gif
) and use some kind of stick for the plant to vine

CNCreefer: Thats a nice plant u got there, can i ask what light level is it in? im also deciding if i should add fluorescent lights to my dim window sill

It grows outside year round. The porch where it is located is on the east side of the building, it gets direct sun fron sunrise up to about noon or so, then bright shade for the rest of the day.
As a side note, all my sarrs, drosera, VFT's and a few smaller highland neps are on the opposite side of the porch. They get more sun than the ventrata, except the neps, which are located a bit farther back, they get a bit less sun.

I might add that the humidity fluctuates from 25 percent up to about 75 percent. It averages about 65 percent. I never mist the plant either.

Thanks for the info, looks like ill have to spend more money on lights
biggrin.gif

I think 4 feet should be enough for a while.

Right now the vine of the plant is bent ove(moved towards the light). Would it be harmful to tease it back to a straight position?

Back