What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Pretty Mystery

I've been all around the world trying to find an ID on this one! So far consensus places it as a South African hybrid close to Drosera aliciae, although not a hybrid with D. capensis - and not a Brasillian taxa I had been led to believe it was (D. "sp. Corumba"):.

This plant is in TC successfully, so it will be a sad waste if I can't pin it. Additional photos may be seen at:

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/sundews

I suppose I could always publish it as a cultivar.....D. 'Incognito', but I hope to shake loose the real parents of this beauty.

Thanks in advance for any potential help.

Drosera_SP_Corumba_110303_1r_001.jpg

Hmmm, Robert Gibson says it has some strong affinities to D. natalensis.  I still think it's a hybrid of some sort.  I got a look at the styles today, and they are *not* further divided at the apices, so there goes that line of attack: both D. aliciae and D. natalensis have more complex apical stylistic division.

The plot thickens.

Sorry for the photo quality, but it does show the styles.

Drosera_Unknown_South_African_112603_006.sized.jpg

Tamlin, is that a true color of the flower?

No it isn't. I posted it only to show the styles. The flower color is a little lighter than D. capensis, medium pink.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Why do you rule out Drosera capensis as a parent?

Here is a link to a photo of a Drosera capensis x aliciae, one of Martins images of that hybrid:

To me this looks nearly identical, a little more light intensity and "there it is"? Seems all that the Drosera capensis parent does is add a little length to the petiole.</span>

wue_capiciae.jpg

I have little experience with this hybrid (about a months worth). So, I am deferring to Stefan Ippenberger's comments regarding this as he has larger experience with growing this hybrid, and mentions a stem forming habit in his plants of D. aliciae x D. capensis. So far, I do not Also, the D. aliciae side of the equation would have styles additionally divided, which this does not. D. capensis has styles simply divided to the base so maybe this would be a possibility, but without experience there is no way for me to say. To my eye it is distinct from your photo, the lamina are shorter and less wide. In your photo, the stalked glands continue nearly the whole length of the petiole as well as the lamina, where in my photo they are mostly without glands.

I never make shot in the dark determinations, especially when the plant may eventually see wide distribution. I have sought expert opinion, and this has merely granted the plant to be a South African Hybrid of "some" type. So, it will eventually find registration as a cultivar, or will not be subsequently distributed (at least, not by me).

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Hey Tamlin,

I'm betting that this is the same plant as started this post:

Same crease down the middle of the lamina, same petiole to lamina shape and proportions, same color, same size . . . I'd bet that if we measured them, everything would be the same as for identical twins.

d_mystery_1a.jpg

<span style='color:darkred'>Guess what its called and where I got it? Drosera sp. Rhodesia -- Sundew Matt</span>

laugh.gif
</span>

Hi Joseph,

This looks like a likely candidate! Thanks for your input.

Tamlin and Joseph,

Err...for the rest of us...where did you get it and what do you think it is? It's quite lovely, you've piqued my interest!

Aaahh! I think I've heard of that plant before!
wink.gif
*snicker*

sF

I have submitted it for publication as a cultivar under the name of Drosera 'Rhodesian Beauty' and it has been accepted.
Hopefully this will resolve the identity problems for future generations of CPer's.

I will continue to hunt "Sp. BOGUS" Drosera with a branding iron, a grim smile and remorseless energy. It is time for decades of confusion to end regarding these plants.

Good for you Tamlin. Thanks for doing more than your share to help out!

SF

Back