What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A media question

Im currently using peat/partite as a base media for my medium size Nep terrarium and in the prosses of setting up a new mixed plant one (slightly larger).
seeing as im planning on having over 10 different plants in the same terrarium im trying to come up with a type of soil that doesnt need replacing as often.
so the question (finally) is: how often do i need to replace peat and how often do i need to replace coco coir.

How often you need to repot is mostly a function of moisture level and growth rate of your plant. Peat is the most decomposed material used in nepenthes cultivation so it doesn't last very long. The dryer you keep the media though the longer it tends to last. Personally, I keep my plants on the drier side and use long fiber sphagnum moss and perlite (heavy on the perlite) so I usually end up having to repot because my plants have outgrown the pot and not because the media has broken down too much. Other growers that use a more moist approach which can be beneficial to certain plants (primarily lowlanders) may have to repot their plants sooner due to media breakdown. The people that want to make their media last the longest between repots and maintain high levels of moisture use mostly bark and perlite in their mixes since they break down the slowest. At the end of the day, as far as CP's go, nepenthes are pretty forgiving. Your peat and perlite mix will require more repots than lfs and perlite or bark and perlite but will work fine in the short term for many plants.

My mid size terrarium is about 1.5 years old and so is its media.
but i would like to start my new one with coco coir but still not 100% sure how well will my plants react to it or how often will i have to repot.
iv read different opinions about it but im still not sure of it's decomposing ratio...

Back