What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A growth question

Hi All,

You may remember I found a couple of commercially raised Neps a few weeks ago labeled "alata". One had the grren and red pitchers and one had spotted pitchers. I know we pretty much decided they were another species or hybrid altogether but I have a question. I keep both plants in hanging baskets outside in Houston. I have slowly conditioned them to full sun for several hours a day. The temperature can climb into the 90's and the humidity stays very high. Their leaves are not burning and they seem fine. I water them with rain water. They are in a peat moss mix with maybe a little perlite but not much from what I can tell. The one with green and red pitchers is growing like a house a fire. It has alot of new leaves and they all have what look to be new pitchers forming. The plant with spotted pitchers is a smaller plant to start with and only has made 3 new leaves. Is there something I am doing to cause this difference or is it fairly common?

Bobby

Hmm what did we think they might be??

Probably the one is more of a lowland plant and enjoying the 90+ degree days.
Tony

Hi Tony,

I was wondering if one might not be more highland than the other, but I thought I remembered reading where highland plants placed in warm conditions produce a rapid growth spurt and then die off. The spotted guy is forming new pitchers (I think) on its new leaves and they are in full sun alot of the time and the leaves are not burning or drying out. Should I move the spotted one indoors where it is cooler but somewhat less humid and less light? I look at it every day to see if it is looking sick or stressed and it looks ok but just seems to grow in slow motion compared to the one with the green and slightly red on the top half pitchers. There must be 10 or more new leaves on it all with tiny pitchers.

Bobby

Perhaps it is fine and just a slower growing plant. If it looks healthy then I would just leave it.
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks. I think I will. I was really looking at one of the new leaves and it seems a perfectly fine new spotted pitcher is forming. Maybe how it goes will tell me how the plant is really feeling.

Bobby

Back